BC Fishing Reports banner
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

· Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Say good-bye to the Limit Hole? http://www-ops2.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/xnet/content/fns/index.cfm?pg=view_notice&lang=en&DOC_ID=111340&ID=recreational

Category(s): RECREATIONAL - Salmon

Subject: FN0554-Salmon: Region 2 - Chilliwack River

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Chilliwack River is open to the retention of 4 chinook per day from July 1
to March 31. Effective 00:01 hours, Saturday, August 2, 2008, the current no
fishing boundary has been extended to include the area from the confluence of
the Chilliwack River and Slesse Creek downstream 100 meters to a line between
two triangular boundary signs on either side of the Chilliwack River. This
measure has been put in place to ensure hatchery staff are better able to meet
Chinook brood stock requirements.

This action has been reviewed and is supported by the local Sport Fish Advisory
Committee.

Variation Order No. 2008-310.

Notes:

The aggregate daily limit for all species of Pacific Salmon (other than
kokanee) from tidal and non-tidal waters combined is four (4).

Barbless hooks are required when fishing for salmon in tidal and non-tidal
waters of British Columbia. This includes all species of fish in the Fraser
River.

Sport anglers are encouraged to participate in the voluntary Salmon Sport Head
Recovery program by labelling and submitting heads from adipose fin-clipped
Chinook and coho salmon. Recovery of coded-wire tags provides critical
information for coast-wide stock assessment. Contact the Salmon Sport Head
Recovery Program at (866) 483-9994 for further information.

Did you witness suspicious fishing activity or a violation? If so, please call
the Fisheries and Ocean Canada 24-hour toll free Observe, Record, Report line
at (800) 465-4336.

For the 24 hour recorded opening and closure line, call toll free at (866) 431-
FISH.

FOR MORE INFORMATION:
call DFO Annacis Island at 604-666-8266.

Fisheries & Oceans Operations Center - FN0554
Sent August 1, 2008 at 1506

· Registered
691 Posts
no fishing boundary has been extended to include the area from the confluence of
the Chilliwack River and Slesse Creek downstream 100 meters to a line between
two triangular boundary signs on either side of the Chilliwack River

Says the posting, so I would say look for a couple of big fishing boundry triangles and don't go above them ;)

· Registered
787 Posts
from what i have read else where this is only a temp thing, untill the hatchery gets enough brood stock springs.

Now all the snaggers are gonna be doing there thing else where, wonder how many of them will be there bright and early tomorrow morning not having a clue about this

· Banned
2,854 Posts
its about damn time this happened. I would like to see it be permanent. i guess all the guys snagging in there will bump down to the slab now. at least we can still fish that nice pocket water between limit hole and cement slab ;D im pretty sure this will be enforced because the CO's are in there all the time as its the gong showest of them all.

243 Posts
I can only hope that its only a temporary closure otherwise it only helps to show that there is such a lack of enforcment that even on the busiest river in BC on a known snagging hole that they would rather shut down parts of the river than enforce the regulations that are already in effect.

Only time will tell but if you support this kind of a closure if its based on noncompliance with the regulations, look forward to giving away more random parts of your rivers because the gov'd does not care enough to protect them.

· Registered
883 Posts
Kryptonite said:
I can only hope that its only a temporary closure otherwise it only helps to show that there is such a lack of enforcment that even on the busiest river in BC on a known snagging hole that they would rather shut down parts of the river than enforce the regulations that are already in effect.

Only time will tell but if you support this kind of a closure if its based on noncompliance with the regulations, look forward to giving away more random parts of your rivers because the gov'd does not care enough to protect them.
I can see the next closed section of the river happening at Tamahi during COHO season. Its too bad we are going to lose some very productive water for the short float fisher. :wallbash: BUT if this is for a brood stock purpose this will have my support 100%. Just wish the Government would get their head out of their --- and grow some ----. There is alot of revenue out on the water poaching. Rewrite the Fishing Act and enforce it. Or just have a giant free for all for a couple of years and then we won't have to worry about salmon any more.

· Registered
3,378 Posts
Personally, I support the spot closures. I wish they had extended the cloure to include the cement slab hole. I also think whenever there are areas of the river that are pounded heavily and fish are being caught by questionable methods, they should close it. Brood stock or not, they are indirectly helping to protect salmon that may not make it to the hatchery...It is a big river....the people that are the compulsive snaggers will likely not move to other areas, because frankly they are not skilled enough to catch fish there.
Should the coho stack up and run thru a small slot in the river and coho are being lined by the hundreds, they should close that area as well.....Everyone is aware of the "other places" like Tamahi,K/W bridge etc.
Go fish somewhere else and quit being part of the problem.
These closures, I am sure are not easily done, as a number of meetings and information gathering from the hatchery and the general public and fisheries is likely necessary......
Now before everybody jumps on the wagon and tarts throwing bombs at me.......
What is wrong with a closure of a known snagging spot?? What's so wrong about protecting our resource?
Finally, something is being done and people are complaining?....I don't get it........Ortho 8)

243 Posts
fishortho said:
1 What is wrong with a closure of a known snagging spot??2 What's so wrong about protecting our resource?
3 Finally, something is being done and people are complaining?....I don't get it........Ortho 8)
1 Closing a known snagging spot is useless interference with law abiding anglers. We already have enough regulations to protect the fish but because enforcment can not or will not keep up, we have these glory holes for the snaggers.

2 There is nothing wrong with protecting the resource but closing down sections of a river because theres too many snaggers is not going to solve any problems, the snaggers will move to different spots and snag there. Its really quite simple.

3 People should complain when they lose their acess to pubilc property to engage in an activity just because there are a few people who choose to flaunt the law. We are then losing acess based solely on the inaction of enforcment of the laws we already have in place.

Lets take a look at some popular snagging spots and see how many we should close down. Limit Hole, Cement Slab, What ever the next run down from the Slab is (snaggers paradise with the spill over there), the next run down from the old Ranger Run, all the runs behind the Prison, Cedars is legendary for coho snagging, from The Beeks all the way down to the last of the Allison Pools (stupid amounts of snaggers in the fall), the entire area of the Tamihi Rapids including the Boulder Run and right on down to the Rafting Run, Osbourne Rd is a snaggers delight but then we get a bit of respite until we get to Wilson Rd where there are snaggers almost standing on top of each other at times, the run above the Crossing, the Crossing its self and the deep hole off the rocks under the tram - all filled with snaggers come the fall (or like this year when there are a lot of sockeye moving through).

So ortho, whould we continue to lobby to close the various snaggers holes and lose half of our acess to the river or should we maybe choose to go the route that involves more enforcment of the regulations that we already have?

the people that are the compulsive snaggers will likely not move to other areas, because frankly they are not skilled enough to catch fish there.

I just had to add this in. Snaggers will not move to different areas to snag because they are not skilled enough to catch fish ::) You do realise that they are snagging right, no skill involved beyond casting into fish. If they had any skills in the first place, they probably wouldnt be snagging to begin with.

· Registered
1,160 Posts
I think the difference here is that the Summer Chinooks really stack in the limit hole and I think the hatchery has asked for the closure to allow them to stack at peace, as these fish imprint majorly on that spot.

BUT , I totally agree with Krypto, that closures are not the answer, soooo many spots to floss and most are great spots to get biters. Lets just enforce the regs and take back the rivers for the the actual anglers.
I have become very vocal toward anglers who are blatantly snagging and encourage others to do the same, if you feel they just do not know than take the time to explain proper fishing to them, alot will appreciate the advice.

· Registered
3,378 Posts
Closing a known snagging spot is not useless.....It is a small step in the right direction. I realize, on the surface, it may not look that great, and in some eyes the "optics" may lead one to have a negative reaction, but this area is disgusting!..I spoke to the officers 2 weeks ago when no less than 10 rods were smashing this water with an array of "barely legal gear and in some instances 1st. class snagger setups...I talked to the officers who were checking gear and on a previous post told you what they said...They can only enforce the rules in place....Now that it is closed, they have reduced the holocaust.

The snaggers will likely not move to other areas of the river immediatly, because the same idiots are there day after day and they have to learn the drift of the pool to fish it effectively......this will take some time..
If they spread out and there are four legal fishers and one snagger/flosser they will likely leave.

Why would we want to complain about losing access? You can access the river easily here and that is the crux of the problem...The closer to the car is to the river,the more snaggers you will find. Surely you do not fish this area when there are plenty of great fishing opportunities throughout the river?

I think we should continue to protect our resource any way we can.
I think the fisheries officers are in a catch 22 and will likely be there for a long time. Dammed if they do and dammed if they don't.
You and I both know there is a number of "target spots" these snaggers head to and I would be first in line for a river patrol if they would ever consider "auxillary officers" to film and tag these morons.

Right now, I still believe the spot closure of a very ugly scene in this beautiful river is the right thing to do at the prtesent time. It may set a precedent, but then again,it may not.....
What it is doing is showing the officers what a terrible excuse for fishing is going on day after day at that location and will give them information to help make long term decisions that eventually will benefit the fishers who chose to fish ethically..............Ortho 8)

1 - 20 of 50 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.