BC Fishing Reports banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am a young, 23 year old man and already I am confident in saying that I appreciate our nature and wildlife and way of life much more than a lot of people just older and mostly much older than me that should be leading by example and doing their part to preserve a way of life that will not be around for much longer.......I went to the Vedder river this last Monday and watched people fish the pool just below the vehicle bridge...I counted 18 people casting over eachother into a 30x30 patch of water with their huge spin gear, hauling out fish every 10 casts or so........what got me the most is that these guys showed no emotion.....they didn't smile or shout, take pictures, give a buddy a high five, talk about it for the next few hours...nothing, It was just hauled in, cleaned, stuffed in a bag and it was off for the next one...... I found a lure on the bottom that was a ocean fishing size rubber squidlike lure with 2 huge hooks trailing down 2 inches from it.....am I the only person left that wants to catch a huge salmon on the fly?........the river felt more like a competitive production line and less like a day out on a beautiful BC river with the chance of catching the big one.....its no wonder that people everywhere are noticing less and less fish every year........for the rest of my life a great day of fishing will be heading out with good buddies, a flyrod, a pack of wobbly's, getting to that new spot, gearing up, and hoping for the big one, but if not it was a great day anyway.....not sitting on the banks of a river by myself beside a bottle neck hole in the river where fish are resting and hauling them in like its a race or competition......I think that laws and regulations and penalties should all be looked at or created in order to make fishing fishing again...not shooting them in a barrel.....am I the only one?

·
Registered
59 Posts
Generally speaking, this sums up a lot of what I've been thinking & experiencing the last few yrs. I do go out with buddies with the sole objective of relaxing in good old mother nature. Of course, I love to hook a fish or two, but that is not always the prime objective.
I've been hoping that the powers that be rethink the fishing regulations to limit the amount a person can "kill" on a particular day and maybe even over a whole season. Why not bring the limit down to say one (or maybe two). Surely that gives enough to feed the wife & kids for a meal. surely, the goal cannot to be using such a scare resource as a "food fishery". :2cents:

·
Registered
41 Posts
I was watching a guy trying to snag fish on the vedder this weekend. He sloshed out into the water with his 6ft trout rod, cast out a "short float" setup and would haul back on the line every 10 seconds or so. The float would splash out of the water so loud, it almost looked like a 30 lb spring was rising to eat it off the surface. I'm sure he scared every fish out of that area, so I gave him some good long dirty looks and walked away. Can't believe it. :pissed:

·
Registered
901 Posts
mikerotch11 if you are a fly fisherman then those meat holes should not interest you
look for tail outs slower runs that are not fishable to gear fishing
Hike around to find those solitude areas where the snaggers would think twice about hiking into
there are some good fly spots on that river
You just have to be prepared to walk and find them :thumbup:
As for changing the rules and regs on fish limits this only makes it tough on those that only fish a few times a season and would like to take some fish for supper and to get some roe :-\
:2cents:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.