BC Fishing Reports banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,679 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Or should I say my daughter :D ....We took a few days and decided to take the family down state side for a little camping and r&r in Lynden...I thought it would be a smart idea to pack along my fly rod, cause you never know when you'll come across a chance to wet a line...Well my intuition payed off, cause there happened to be a lake in the same camp ground where we were staying...Even better there was a narrow branch of water running right behind our cabin. :shock: After all the unpacking was finished, :oops: it was off to the shore line for a look. To my excitement I noticed a few small rainbows cruising around amongst the weed beds looking for a meal..

Anyhow after I set up the fly rod and grabbed an assortment of flys, my 3 1/2 year old daughter expressed interest in joining me :) ...So off we went...Next I layed out the line with my offering attatched, and passed off my rod with a little coaching on how to retrieve this paticular fly. After a few more casts and a little more coaching, she got the hang of her task and I became nothing more than the guy who would do the casting, and the rest would be up to her..As she now says"I'm not a little girl any more daddy" :shock: :cry: :cry: My job of laying out a line went on for a few more turns, until a little bow tugged on the fly, and she dropped my beloved rod in shock :shock: :roll: over what just happened...I picked it up and put the fly back out to where it had been interupted before, and again passed off the rod..This time the fly was gone as fast as it hit the water, and she had her first ever fish on...A little coaching on how to play a fish and she landed a nice scrappy little rainbow. That daddy had to hold... :roll: ..After a safe release, she was into her second on the very next cast..Once again I had to do the fish handling...It totally made my trip, to see these events unfold..After her second fish the novelty wore off and she rejoined her sister at the near by play ground...However I know it won't be long till she'll be tugging on my shirt to take her along once again...

Anyhow I thought I'd share this little story with you dads out there who have already, or will experience this for the first time with your own children. I'll admit it wasn't an easy task to keep from choking up over this one.. :lol: :lol: Oh by the way...the fishing was pretty good the entire time I was there...I now have to to some tying to replenish my stock of halfbacks and spratleys.

Finder :wink:

·
Banned
2,859 Posts
thats awesome to hear Kevin

good to see your daughter finding an interest in fishing soon she will be out there with you all the time ha ha ha

maybe my dad and i will be seeing you out there on the Vedder soon. I'll be hitting her every weekend from this one till sockeye open :D:D

see you out there

HOOK

·
Registered
16 Posts
i know what it must be like. that's how i got hooked on fishing. living in the west coast of vancouver island and going with my dad.i hope to do the same thing with my girls.

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
COOOOOOOL! :D

Hotrod

·
Retired staff
6,684 Posts
One of those perfect moments in life Fish finder!!! These are the ones we never forget...
Soon she'll be outfishing you! :lol:

·
Registered
3,386 Posts
What a beautiful story and nice pics to back it up!. The proud papa and his little angel at the fishin' hole!...A close look at the faces in the pictures tells it all. It not only makes me feel good, and very happy that you shared this momment with your family, but reminds me of my first trout that I caught in a very small creek in Maple Ridge when I was 4 years old. My Dad took a similar picture on the old Kodak "Brownie"and it's still on the front page in the family album.....Thanks for sharing, Kevin.
Ortho... 8)

·
Registered
2,679 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks fellas...I know it won't be long till she's out fishing her dad. :p That's a good thing, then it'll go to show that I've done something right. :lol: You know I've been doing some thinking on these events, and I've found that children are truly drawn to fishing like a pin to a magnet..Maybe it's the curiosity, but I honestly can't think of anything else that'll capture a childs full attention more for a period of time than trying to catch a fish..The funny thing is it doesn't change as we get older...It's one of those things that keeps us young, no matter how old we are.

Finder :wink:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts