BC Fishing Reports banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was tossing flies with the new rod today in the canal, when of all things I snag some old line. After pulling up four miles of at least two different lines low and behold there's a 18lb spring still attached to the line by the tail!!! He was pretty tired fishy but after a few minutes of reviving he swam away at full speed. That would be the first time I ever caught a fish on somebody's else's line... hmmm a guy could get into trouble for fishing with more than one hook on :hmmm:. Well at least I saved a nice fish from a lousy death and scored some nice floats in the process.

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
I've pulled that one before, at first I thought it was a snag then zing, off goes the fish. As I reel in i get to my hook and no fish :hmmm: I notice that I hooked someones swivel and 20" later I reeled in an old boot chum. Not as nice as the spring but same story.

·
Registered
76 Posts
same ting happened to me once when bass fishing...I hooked a stick which had about 20 lures on it including 2 bass :eek: they were already mostly dead and after 15 minutes of reviving neither of them were in good enough shape to swim away so we ended up keeping them...not to mention the lures

·
Registered
229 Posts
My buddy and I were fishing the Harrison once and I broke off a big spring, about twenty minutes later my buddy hooks into a spring and brings it to shore, he hooked the eyelet of the swivel on the leader that was still hooked in the spring that broke me off :happy: what are the chances of that!! :thumbup:

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Of course I gathered all the line I could, although I couldn't gather all of it even though I must have 60 feet of the one line it still stretched diagonally up the river to the far bank...must have spooled the guy.

·
Registered
875 Posts
I have done this once. We were in a hole and a float kept popping up in different places. I ended up hooking the float and deciding that since I could reel in any more line (after the other float got to my eyelet) that I would bring this fish in by hand. Bad Idea :wallbash: Ended up being a 30 pound spring that broke the leader and sent the weight hurdling back into my knuckles at 5 feet away slicing them wide open, lat time I will ever do that ::)

I also saw a guy one year hook a fishing rod that had a 10ish pound coho ont he end of it ???

·
Registered
170 Posts
I see it all the time fishing the fraser during sockeye season. I am always hooking on to leaders with fish still on it. Thats what happens when you use 4 ounce weights with 30 ft leaders. I have to wonder how many fish are killed that way.

·
Registered
1,736 Posts
it surprises me at the length of the leaders, when i do floss for sockeye for meat, i'm using a 7ft leader, not these huge 20ft things, and 4 oz is rediculous, 2.5 is what's needed, even at scale in hope.

back to hooking other lines with fish, i was fishing a cap pool one day and hooked into and lost a decent coho (5ish) he snapped my mainline, abrasion most likely. So i retie and 15 minutes i see a chrome fish rolling in the shallows near the bank in the tailout. So i'm like ya fresh fish, well the fish kept rolling, so i inspected the scene, and what are the chances of my swivel getting stuck between 2 rocks and still having the fish on the end, so i eventually did land and release the fish.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.