BC Fishing Reports banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

Looking for a decent river to throw the fly line in, drink a few cold ones and have some fun?
I know lots of you have hidden spots that won't post but there is that PM Button :p
Just looking to get out n show the gf what fishing is all about to get her "IN" for the sockeye run!

Was told try the "Alouette river" and yeah thats great but the river is huge.

:cheers:

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
really, has fishing become that territorial now?
No more fishing for the fun its all bout catching right... not releasing.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Only have fished the upper Pitt so cant help you with rivers.
If you have a boat , try Allouette Lake , troll flies for Kokanee.

Get up to Tunkwa Lake , great fly fishing there.

·
Registered
3,669 Posts
I think, J Ozzie, that your question is so general that people won't bother to reply. Try to be more specific.:2cents:

·
Registered
188 Posts
in a river or a lake HAHAHAAH! *ducks the thrown tomatos*

In all seriousness, This time of year is difficult for fly fishing on the rivers, lots of them are still running high making it hard to get your presentation where you want it, and dry fly is starting to pick up on some of the lakes towards kamloops. Paul is great, Lightning Lake has good dry fly action... Mmmmmm.... Crap man, Pick a piece of water and fish it! Best way to find out and have some fun dude.

·
Registered
3,812 Posts
Hey all,

Was told try the "Alouette river" and yeah thats great but the river is huge.

Mom Nature gave you a pair big feet I assume. Get out and use them!! Oh, and that river is pretty small. Be glad they didn't tell you to fish the Harrison or the Fraser!

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Mom Nature gave you a pair big feet I assume. Get out and use them!! Oh, and that river is pretty small. Be glad they didn't tell you to fish the Harrison or the Fraser!
No i was born with 2 wooden sticks to smack people that say stupid things. :thumbup:

All i was asking is a decent location to throw the line out, teach the gf the basics and see if its something she wants to get into, but hey... its all good found some spots with the "Pair of big feet i have"

·
Registered
292 Posts
Good place to teach someone how to use a fly rod is the sloughs out near Mission all the way to Hope. As the river clears up and the back channels become accessable there are good opportunities to use the slow current to teach someone how to use the water to load a rod and lots of room to make mistakes without catching trees, other fishers etc. As the pinks and sockeye show up you can really have a blast and watch all the gear slinging snaggarts and laugh away at their arm chair antics at the same time.

Heck you might even be able to wet a line near New West if the arm chair crowds don't preclude using fly gear, just keep good thoughts and ignore the meat fishermen they have a tendancy to get you down if you let them....even on this forum at times!

Reactions: J Ozzie

·
Retired staff
6,684 Posts
J Ozzie, the allouette is not a good river to fly fish right now. It is very small by comparison to most other rivers around, has lots of snags and trees to contend with and during these hot summer months has and infinite number of swimmers and tubers splashing around in it, I mean literally just about every access point is a swimming hole for the locals.

There are numerous better options out there. The Harrison is a beautiful area, with good open spaces to cast and lots of scenery and relative solitude to be found with a nice walk in just about any direction. There are cutthroat and bull trout to play with and if I am not mistaken even some retention for a celebratory dinner if gf gets herself a fish or two...(check your regs).

Nearby weaver creek and morris lake can be nice too...some of the sloughs as reeman mentions as well, however they will tend to have a lot more mosquito's than most other areas right now due to the slower water and tall grasses...so be prepared for that if you are heading that way.

There won't be any pinks over here on the coast in this even numbered year, but there will be some on the island starting soon if you are inclined to do a road trip in the near future, you will likely find them to be a much more pleasant fly fishing experience than trying to step into the crowds lining the fraser for sockeye if it opens.

Feel free to send me a pm if you need some more info.

·
Registered
24 Posts
If you really want to get her hooked, go to Kamloops or Merit for a day or two. There are many small lakes with trout that are easy to catch. My son just started dry flying 2 weeks ago and it was up there were he learned how things work and had fun hooking many fish on simple Tom Thumbs from docks and shore.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Reeman, Rib, Andrew! thanks guys for the info. Guys like you make the Forum a great place for local info.
Rib ill take you up on that and send you a PM!

I'll be fishing the sloughs this year again too hopefully i can get her to come out.

The GF sees how keen i am for fishing and wants to get into it as well... i told her its either i'll be out fishing a lot and see her late at night or she can come out too.

Andrew, Kamloops and Merritt sound like fun!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts