BC Fishing Reports banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Banned
2,859 Posts
FYI thats a sockeye not a coho :beerchug:

please everyone out there know how to identify your catch as apparently there is still some clipped CULTUS lake sockeye kicking around.

I really hope any of these arent being killed because they are late and being mistaken for coho :wallbash: :wallbash:

·
Retired staff
6,684 Posts
It scares me that some people might not be able to tell the difference between a sockeye and a coho...

Here's a coho for those of you who aren't sure...

Take note of the differences.

Also, here's a link to a thread on identifying your catch in the fall season...

http://www.bcfishingreports.com/forum/index.php/topic,4614.0.html

Anyone who calls themselves a sportfisher should learn and understand what it takes to fish responsibly.

There's a whole lot more to it than throwing a line in and catching a few fish...

·
Banned
2,859 Posts
thanks for the link Rib :thumbup: it was to early in the am for me to search for links :cheers: im still a bit shocked its so late. but then again we saw a member here with a bullet Chum in december last year and fly caught none the less :drunk:

·
Banned
2,859 Posts
im sure the mouth pic wasnt to show where the hook was G, it was to show the tongue and gums of the fish to help identify it :thumbup: lets not start a snagging issue on here OK

and if the fish wasnt clipped im sure these pics wouldnt have even been posted.

·
Registered
517 Posts
HOOK said:
im sure the mouth pic wasnt to show where the hook was G, it was to show the tongue and gums of the fish to help identify it :thumbup: lets not start a snagging issue on here OK

and if the fish wasnt clipped im sure these pics wouldnt have even been posted.
Hook!! :wallbash: you can put whatever you want in the mouth of a landed fish. However, I am not accusing kingpin of anything (especially since he was just holding the Sockeye and he didn't landed it), I am just wondering why that Sockeye has that scratch on his side, that's all (and the answer is not difficult). Ok, I'll stop here and think that maybe the Sockeye had an accident while playing with his friends.

G

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
This was posted up by KP for a test and to make anglers aware that the Cultas Lake sockeye are in the river around this time of the year. This fish hit a chunk of roe that was being float fished about 18-24" below the surface of the water. The run is about 4-5 feet deep in that spot, it was not flossed (although it does look like it kinda) We werent sure what the fish was during the fight as it was not fighting like a spring or rolling like a coho but was running EVERYWHERE! As KP tailed the fish I already had my camera out and with the shutter setting set to continous all I did was hold down the shutter button as the hook was popped out and the fish released. The run size is only something like 300-500 fish if I'm right, so every fish counts and it would be sad to see a Cultas sock bonked thinking its a coho.

THE SCRATCH IS FROM A SEAL Giuseppe!!!!! See the other teeth marks that are lighter? Oh and there's a seal in the canal now :-\

·
Registered
5,453 Posts
Great post Kingpin!! :thumbup: I bet there would have been many anglers out there that when they saw a clipped fin, would BONK it! This is great for all anglers to see and might help more Cultas Lake endangered Sockeye return to their spawning grounds this year! :beerchug:

:cheers: Rick

·
Registered
71 Posts
Give em H*** Shane >:D
Shane said:
This was posted up by KP for a test and to make anglers aware that the Cultas Lake sockeye are in the river around this time of the year. This fish hit a chunk of roe that was being float fished about 18-24" below the surface of the water. The run is about 4-5 feet deep in that spot, it was not flossed (although it does look like it kinda) We werent sure what the fish was during the fight as it was not fighting like a spring or rolling like a coho but was running EVERYWHERE! As KP tailed the fish I already had my camera out and with the shutter setting set to continous all I did was hold down the shutter button as the hook was popped out and the fish released. The run size is only something like 300-500 fish if I'm right, so every fish counts and it would be sad to see a Cultas sock bonked thinking its a coho.

THE SCRATCH IS FROM A SEAL Giuseppe!!!!! See the other teeth marks that are lighter? Oh and there's a seal in the canal now :-\

·
Registered
151 Posts
Great reminder of the need to be sure before killing a fish. I don't want to start a great debate but the fact that these fish are in the system and hitting roe should prompt DFO to at least think about gear restrictions until mid-october for the lower river (ie fly only). I love fishing gear in Sept and October but i want to see these stocks come back.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Agreed it is a great reminder to properly ID your catch, it would be a shame to see this stock disappear, but I'm not sure making it fly only until oct. would help much as they can easily be flossed with a fly as well.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.