BC Fishing Reports banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
917 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Great report Hook and Wagonmaster. Too bad I didn't run into you guys out there. My buddy and I also hit the flow for some late season action. We arrived at our spot at around 8:30 in the morning and we had it all to ourselves. For me, it was just the fourth time out this year. For my buddy, it was his second outing. Just after 9:00 my buddy is into a fish. As he managed to get it close to shore, I got a good look at the fish. It was a wild female of around 8 pounds. I managed to snap this photo:

Just as my friend is about to land her - "snap" goes the leader and we have another successful "long distance release"! :thumbup: Anyway, my buddy re-ties and on the very next cast, he's got another fish on! This time, I see that the fish is more chrome than the last one and......yes, it is a hatchery doe. My buddy lands the fish and decides to keep her. It's his first and last of this season. So - he's done for the day. Here's a couple of photos of the fish:

Now for the real fun. About 15 minutes later, I've got a fish on. After a brief fight, the hook pops out. This sequence is repeated a few more times! At the end of the day, I've hooked six steelhead and lost them all! 0 for 6 - sounds like the Canucks power play! Finally, I hook into a spunky little guy that jumps several times but is quickly landed and released:

So - all in all, it was a great day on the river. Perhaps it was one last kick at the steelies. The upper river will soon close and the lower will remain open to fly fishing only. But with the snow melting, it may be over! Oh well. Not a bad way to end the season. Time to start dusting off the chironomid fly boxes! :yummy:

·
Registered
96 Posts
Wow. Looks like a good day on the water. The last fish looks like it could be a resident rainbow trout, what does everyone else think?????

·
Registered
555 Posts
Sounds like a productive, fun day. ;D And I was also thinking that the last one looked more like a local trout.

·
Registered
917 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I was thinking that it was a resident trout - but the colouration didn't look right to me. I don't know if there is such a thing as "steelhead jacks". I've read about "half pounders" in Trey Combs' book on steelhead flyfishing. Apparently, "half pounders" are immature non-spawning steelhead that return to the river after just a few months at sea. Either way, it was a pretty little fish with lots of spunk! However, I'm still counting the day as 0 for 6! :)

·
Banned
2,859 Posts
i agree with you magician it doesnt look like a resident to me either as i have caught one os them little guys myself as ive never seen residents with the certain colours like yours

HOOK

·
Registered
107 Posts
Great Read FFM~!! :thumbup:

I'm Heading to Vedder tomorrow for my last shot for steely!! :happy:

How was the river condition yesterday??

It doesn't seem like rainny in Wack on the pics.

Bravo~!! :beerchug:

·
Registered
917 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hey Bravo...

How was the river condition yesterday??
Sorry - but I was on the river last Saturday, Apr 21 (same day Wagonmaster and Hook were there I believe). Therefore - I don't really know what the river conditions were like yesterday.

·
Registered
3,386 Posts
Hey F M............You need me to show you how to sharpen a hook?.......0 for 6??? That has to be some sort of record!!!.....Holy Cow that is amazing.......I am just curious , were these breakoffs or did the fish all throw the hooks? What equipment were you using?? PM me...Ortho 8)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts