BC Fishing Reports banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
816 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Are you disillusioned with politics in Canada? Do none of the parties represent you or what you think are the issues in your riding?

Think if ever person in each riding was able to vote directly on the issues at hand and the Member of Parliament then voted according to the majority decision of those in the riding.

Think about it, you get to vote on the issues that matter to you.

With the internet this is possible. A poll for riding populous could be made on one of the existing questionnaire sites. It could even be made so that if you want to always vote for one party, press that setting and boom, you vote for that party's line all the time, Or if you have specific issues that are of concern for your riding that differ from your party's line vote against them. You could be a Conservative but against the F-35. Or you could vote directly on issue that are fisheries related without have to fight to talk with a MP who has bigger fish to fry.

Think about it. Talk about it. If it peaks your interest respond to this post and lets make it happen.

Have fun, Jason

·
Premium Member
370 Posts
I like the cut of your jib ! I really liked this post..very intelligent.For example I really like the Liberals federal platform..I just hate Mike ! I don't trust him...so what's a person to do? I'd rather vote on the issues than for the party or leader.

·
Registered
3,669 Posts
Not trust any politician? I also like this idea but it is very susceptible to hacking, unfortunately, and I would doubt you would find ANY career politician who would endorse it. It is fairly obvious that they would prefer the Great Unwashed have little or no say in their future. The likelihood of this being put into practice is slim to none IMHO.

·
Registered
816 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for your post Japander, thought I was going it alone. Now I've got a party I can volunteer for.

Although, I have to say my name 'Direct Democracy' is better one.

And Arrg I don't think any legit politition will go for this but it not about getting the norm parties to go for it, it's about threatening their power.

I do think the us on BCfishingreports are exaclty the type of people who should be looking into an alterantive where local in the riding get a say on issue that effect local. In fact I would say a majority of our frustration is level at the fact our fishery is govnerned 3000km from the fishery. Sure all our issue will not be solved by this idea but at least we get more say the we do today.

The traditional parties are all to happy that we don't give a carp about what happens in politics and the they are all very happy everytime the voting numbers drop.

I'm going to check out the online party and I hope everyone on here at least talk about ideas like this so the old parties don't get an more complacant(sp)... of course how can you be more than totally complaceant(sp).

Have fun, Jason

·
Registered
111 Posts
I'll probably get shot down in flames here but I like Gilles Duceppe, too bad he's not running here. Put aside for a moment the fact that his main goal has been to seperate from Canada but he's a damn good politician. He fights for what's best for his province and won't let Ottawa run rough shod over Quebec. Wouldn't it be nice if we had some one like him fighting for what is best for BC and not what Ottawa says is best for us.

(Now I'll duck behind the sofa)

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
good one one more cast, BUT, he also has the power of the second highest populated province behind him, im sure that would have a huge influence for whoever was the leader of the bloc....holmes*

·
Registered
816 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
One more cast, I think there are a lot more people in BC who respect and would like to have a leader like Mr. Duceppe if it weren't for the seperatist thing - I have met many. I know the Bloc platform is one I could get behind if it weren't for the seperation thing and they were a national party.

I think is tells a lot when the three other parties cannot or won't find a leader as good as the Blocs and have 125% more of the population to draw from.

Of course, the worse the leader the better their true colours show.

Have fun, Jason

·
Registered
63 Posts
I'll probably get shot down in flames here but I like Gilles Duceppe, too bad he's not running here. Put aside for a moment the fact that his main goal has been to seperate from Canada but he's a damn good politician. He fights for what's best for his province and won't let Ottawa run rough shod over Quebec. Wouldn't it be nice if we had some one like him fighting for what is best for BC and not what Ottawa says is best for us.

(Now I'll duck behind the sofa)
Duceppe also has the luxury of never having to worry about forming a Federal government and having to meet the needs of the rest of Canada.

You keep a duck behind your sofa??

·
Registered
3,669 Posts
Seems to be the way things are going in Europe. Larger states crumbling into smaller units. Canada and the US are even more artificial entities than some of those places.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts