BC Fishing Reports banner

A new Steelhead organization

4K views 22 replies 14 participants last post by  Bent Rod 
#1 ·
Just trying to get some feedback on something myself and Bergler were throwing around.

In light of drastic declines in local Steelhead populations and a serious decline in both funding and effort to perform enhancement and habitat projects, it may be time for a fresh Steelhead advocate group to be formed.

Our idea was to try and raise $$, awareness of the fishes plight, provide volunteers for enhancement and habitat projects and put pressure on MOE to provide opportunity for anglers that create the chance for our children to one day become STEELHEADERS like so many local kids of the past.

I would be willing to donate trips, jigs and as much as my time as possible to raise $$ for this kind of group and it's cause.
If we can get a committment from a core group of individuals this kind of group could become a strong voice for our local steelhead and the anglers that fish for them.

First off I would like to add that this group would need to avoid the issues of gear choices, and the on going WILD vs Hatchery debates that have eroded other groups effectiveness.

Having said that, I must add that these same groups have been tremendous advoctes of the Steelhead and continue to do amazing things for their benefit. Kudos to them and I wiill still support them with my $$.

One of the issues that really sparked this idea was the fact that the Ministry Of the Environment failed to perform swim counts this year on a majority of streams.

To me this is unacceptable.
If we are at the point where not even knowing how many fish we have is acceptable that we are truly in trouble.

The amount of money and effort that is needed for swim counts is truly something that could be raised by a group such as this.
Knowing how many fish our streams are receiving is crucial to the steelheads survival.
How MOE thinks they can manage these streams without this data is ludicrous.

I personally fish some of the lesser known rivers and can tell you things are DISMAL.
At this rate we will see many lower mainland Rivers completely devoid of Steelhead in our lifetime or much , much sooner.

Anyone who is interested in this idea of forming a strong voice for steelhead and a chance to raise money for stuff such as the swin counts, please respond to this thread.

We will try and keep this thread alive until Steelhead come into focus for anglers, later in the season.

Feel free to post this on any other forum with concerned Steelhead anglers, all anglers are welcome.

See less See more
#2 ·
Count me in for sure! I have been trying to find a way to give back to the resource I enjoy so much. What kind of things were you thinking of to raise funds for the cause? Fundraisers? If so give me a hollar, my wife is the Manager of a local pub here in PoCo and can help get something going, my dad is also a lifetime member of the Kinsmen Club and they are always looking to donate money (usually to charities but the environment is just as important).

Any idea on the name for this new Association?

Props to you and Berg for taking steps in the right direction.

#3 ·
it seems to me that there are already a number of organizations trying to save steelhead/salmon/river habitat:

Steelhead Society of BC
RiverKeeper
David Suzuki Foundation
For the Sake of the Salmon
Pacific Rivers Council
Save Our Wild Salmon
Seymour Salmonid Society
Burrard Inlet Marine Enhancement Society - Mossom Creek Hatchery
Trout Unlimited Canada
Fish Unilimited
Port Moody Ecological Society
Haig-Brown Institute
Pacific Stream Keepers Federation
River Network
Georgia Strait Alliance
Watershed Watch Salmon Society
Wild Steelhead coalition
Native Fish Society
BC Federation of Drift fishers
BC Federation of Fly Fishers

i guess my question would be, what are you hoping to do that would be different from any of these other group's efforts? wouldn't a new group only dilute resources further? considering the fact that you and rick are professional guides, how will you address concerns over conflict of interest issues?

perhaps a new, grassroots organization should focus on one stream and do what it can to protect and enhance it, rather than try to save the whole province. here i'm thinking about streams like the campbell, brunette, seymour, etc. that have advocacy groups already in place that are making a difference.

Dinsdale.

#4 ·
My question is how effective are any of these organizations in raising money for stream enhancement projects? After all that is the main issue here isn't it? Or the big questions would be "What do we have to do in order to preserve these amazing fish for future generations to enjoy as much as us or our fathers and grandfathers?"

How many of the above organizations try to help by strictly waiting on the Government to put the cash forward? How many put their money where their mouth is? My bet is the Government would be more willing to donate funds for these projects if the association or group doing the asking is bucking up too. Would the point of this group be to work with the hatchery programs already in place and volunteer precious fishing time in order to help out on habitat restoration projects? Side Note: I did notice that my local stream had some habitat restoration done over the last year, hopefully it helps!

#5 ·
I am not concerned with other groups and what they are doing.

I financially support many of them as is.

We would obviously be available to these groups should volunteers be needed.

Couple of things right off the bat.

Not enough guys are available for broodstocking,we are misssing our goals.
I know as I am involved, here is one example where we could contribute.

No swim counts this year to a supposed lack of funding, here is another place we could have helped out with donated funds and manpower.

Fertilization projects always need volunteers, fin clipping, River patrols on lesser streams, watching for poaching.

Bringing the plight of Steelhead to the non fishing public and making them care is a huge job, that requires media attention and putting a spin on it that people will support.

I thought of promotional movies to display the importance of steelhead as a cultural icon and a important piece of West Coast sporting history and Future.

Not to mention we have a chance to make an impact through the use of this media we are currently using, IE the Internet.

I like the work of the groups we now have, but I feel a fresh group could be very beneficial and a allie of these existing groups.

Enough of that however, to suggest a fresh group of concerned anglers COULD NOT make a difference is both negative and not useful to the protection of our Steelhead.

Obviously our voices are not being heard loud enough considering the situation with the Steelhead.

Would be nice to have a fresh group without the egos and personal agendas as hard as that can be.

But thats what we are proposing.

#6 ·
if the government is unwilling (or unable) to fund these other groups, i am not sure how they will fund a new group.

take a look at what the Seymour Salmonid Society is doing (http://www.seymoursalmon.com/): fund rasing, volunteer programs, broodstocking, school education programs, radio tagging, habitat restoration, public awareness programs, open house days, a huge local presence at bc rivers day, promotional video ("Gently Down The Stream"), stock enhancement.

take a look at the Water Shed Watch Salmon Society (http://www.watershed-watch.org/index.html). they are extremely active in habitat restoration and preservation, fund raising through private grants. they have a strong presence on issues like ground water policy, run of the river power projects, sea lice proliferation at salmon farms, etc.

these are the types of groups i support. and i know what you mean by the "egos" out there. those are the groups i avoid.

DP

#9 ·
Here's another vote. Habitat rehab and fertilization are just a couple of ways we can give back. As a
good friend talked about at one time we could be river gaurdians with a diplomatic approach. Not to
be feared but to aid in the well being of rivers in need..... :2cents: Marko

#10 ·
Roe_Pig said:
Rather than having another organization, wouldn't it be better if all various other organizations unite under one umbrella. Easier to raise funds, one united voice etc. My .02
definitely agree with roe-pig here. We already have enough organizations, and the fracturing of the voice as a result has been devastating to the lobbying ability of the recreational community. Another group to further dilute the effort will only make things worse. The GSSWG (Georgia Stait Steelhead Working Group) was an effort to gather all of these organizations collectively and work together to make a difference in Steelhead numbers inthe Georgia Strait. Got off to a great start until MWLAP wouldn't play anymore. Took their biologists and went home when the heat got too high and there would be government costs involved. Only so much that can be done without MWLAP approval and that includes river counts and habitat restoration and enhancement. If they don't want you to get involved they can shut you down the same way they did to SSBC on various projects and the Brunette and Coquitlam river enhancement groups.

So very sad to see so much enthusiasm and available knowledgeable volunteer resources available and to have it all shut down by a myopic provincial body that 'knows best'.

Rather than form a new group, what about becoming a director for one of the existing organizations and running your ideas throughthat venue? Wouldn't credibility be much more direct and established? My vote is for a resurrected SSBC that embraces all Steelhead anglers not just the FF crowd.

#12 ·
dinsdale piranha said:
finaddict said:
My vote is for a resurrected SSBC that embraces all Steelhead anglers not just the FF crowd.
wasn't the steelhead society's undoing a result of - how shall i put it - misappropriated funds? it will be hard for them to regain credibility.

DP
Correct, and it was a large part of their undoing. Many of those directors have moved on and Scott Baker-McGarva and the new crew are trying to bring the days of glory. Personally I have not had any dealings with them, but I remember in the 70's and early 80's when they were THE voice.

#14 ·
hey ROD

you can count Wagonmaster and myself in as we have been looking for a good way to give back

is there anyway that we can become volunteer DFO and hand out tickets to abusers ;D good way to give back GET RID OF POACHERS and people who DO NOT release fish properly

we all know that the pink and chum kicking seaon is almost upon us :'( :'( :'( couple years ago i watched one guy kick half a dozen had enough walked over and kicked him in shin, he was pissed but i told him every fish you kick im going to kick you back. he didnt kick anymore thankfully

will this group be doing things like river repairs? things like that?

#15 ·
Hey Rod

Count me in like someone said earlier time to give something back to the sport that has given us so much over the years.

Centerpin 8)

#17 ·
I would be happy to help in any way I can. Count me in, let me know if there is anything you need me to do...all time volunteered. Writing, editing, pr work, physical labor, fertilization, I don't want any money, recognition, nor do I need to hear myself speak. Just put me on the river or in front of some paperwork and if I am helping, that's all I need.

#18 ·
Well ......... with retirement nearing in the next 5 of 6 years (no I'm not that old) I guess I need something to be active in. Guess I should give back to the sport of fishing as I have done in all the other sports I've taken part in. Therefore, you can count me in as a volunteer to do what I can to assist.

GOFISH 8)

#20 ·
Most of the clubs I belong to CANNOT get people to run for positions to run the club.
How do you expect to overcome this?

Join an already existing club and get more involved, there's plenty of clubs that need new blood or just someone to help out.

How many people out there can say they will donate several nights and weekends to make phone calls and e-mails?

There is soo much work involved that this will just fad away after a while just like many other causes in the past.

Dont forget about clubs like the Kingfisher Rod and Gun Club that donates tons of money to many of these causes every year.Why not donate more money to them for swim counts, fert,and other programs.

#23 ·
Looks like there would be some interest, I'll start listing names and perhaps we can explore things further.

As for joining other orgs, most are not Steelhead directed and we are not seeking to increase opportunity to fish as so many orgs are pushing hard for these days.

I will look into the South Coast Steelhead Coalition, Steelhead Society and Georgia basin groups and see what there direction is.
Also consider the new org as well.

To me the fact that no or very little swim counts were done shows a huge mismanagement issue and certainly existing orgs must be appalled at this situation.

I think whether a new group is formed or if we just make a concerted effort to get involved as individuals or through these on line sites. Something drastic needs to happen soon or we can kiss MYKISS goodbye in the South coast.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.