BC Fishing Reports banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A question about fire line.

I decided to leave my center pin at home, and pull out my 3106 level wind rod yesterday. I wanted to cover a lot of water. I have a Calcutta 400 with fire line, I normally use with a Fenwick rod for sockeye. My question is. Is fire line hard on the guides of the 3106? Maybe I should pull the line off and store it for a few years.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Not sure how the guides are on your rod, but I have used fireline on my shimano convergance during the sockeye seasons of the past. Sometimes I would get out 20-30 days during the year. I haven't noticed the fireline digging into the guides, but have read posts about people claiming that this did happen. I would imagine it is a little more harsh on the guides, but I haven't noticed any problems yet. I usually end of damaging my rod in a door, sliding cooler, laying it down and somebody stepping on it, kids, etc, etc before too long!

G

·
Fireline/Tuf line/Power pro is brutal on eyes regardless in my mind! it may take 2 days like my spinning rods by Quantum did, or it may take 3 years of 75 days sturgeon fishing like my Techniums have! It all depends on the eyes though!

·
Premium Member
3,732 Posts
If the guides are aluminum they won't last long. Any other ceramic, zircon etc. will be hard enough
to go years as long as you're not pulling in freight trains every half hour.
....What happens is the braided line harbours silt from the river and gives the line a grit to wear into
the guides on those back breaking retrieves.

:beerchug: Marko

·
Registered
140 Posts
I used fire line for a couple of years (for meat fishing,you know what I mean) I have to say it is very hard on your gear,Guides, Reels etc. Use a good high quality mono or co-polymer line and you won't be dissapointed. The only good thing about fierline is that it doesn't stretch much so look for that low stretch quality in the mono or co-polymer you decide to use

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.