BC Fishing Reports banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
909 Posts
I have mixed feelings about this. I know for a fact that the nets kill a number of fish each year. What good is the society going to do in talking to the netters. The ones that abide by the rules already understand the importance of protecting the species. As far as the stocks being down over the last two years, it's definately possible looking at all the added pressure from the charter services and sporty's out there that has to create some stress on the fish. I dont know though I've been fishing for them for years and I personally dont notice it any slower than years past. As far as poachers they've always been there doing their thing so thats nothing new. I can honestly say that in my life time I will not be suprised to first see the the salmon stocks destroyed then the sturgeon, because they will be the only fish left in there. The sad thing is like I think Abby said in a different topic " it's a combined result of all pressures on the river" (commercial,native and sport). I would hope our gov't would get control over the allocations and preservation of all our stocks before we are looking at the mighty fraser, "the dead sea" of the west coast. Good luck though right
Crazy D

· Registered
909 Posts
there was a intresting editorial in the local gazette on tues which kind of ruffled my feathers a bit,
No Room For Politics With Fish
Re local sturgeon not up for sara protection
Fred Helmer suggests we should look at "our sucess stories" and not dwell on the quagmire. I thought that was the point of the process. Ignoreing the question of which success stories, at least 24 issues concerning sturgeon should be individually addressed before a relevant decision can responsibly be made.
With the sturgeon assessed as endangered by COSEWIC in 2003 I find it rather impudent to only consult those in the industry and to imply First Nations compliance. Perhaps every band on the Fraser and her tributaries should vote for or against sturgeon sport fishing and submit this as their consultation.
To suggestthat the First Nation fishery is the single biggest to sturgeon is frightfully ignorant. Exactly how can the tagging program be successful? The only past numbers available would be the highly inaccurate figures from the time of their slaughter. To use tagging for future projections is impossible, especially when all the destructivefactors are not even tabled. The tagging progream would have to it's harm for a long long time to collect any relevant data and if status quo continues, that might only be the numbers of the decline. To selectively choose facts can not change the truth.
Upper ,Lower, or Middle River risk means nothing to a sturgeon and this is the methodology working for the sturgeon that the generously sport(hardly) fishers can then apply for other species?. Of course Mr. Helmer is only speaking of the only remaining species they can make money from, not any of the species already lost.
Politics has no place in real conservation. Sport fishers have no right to speak on behalf of the sturgeon.
I. Hock "

I would think the guiding industry is trying to do all it can to protect the sturgeon stocks. The tagging program is collecting data on a species that up until probably the 90's was only in the news when one washed up on the shore. As far as first nations sure there is a spiritual connection to these fish, but it is not a fish required for survival. I agree with ortho the media can definately word things to benifit certian groups more. I totally have to agree with AFG there should be no set nets on the river if you need fish you should be minding the nets,not like you have to go pick berries for dinner. It sounds racist but in this day and age there is no reason why they should'nt be on the nets when they are in the water,heck make it seem like work and we know what will happen. Sorry guy's about the rant ,but when a group that i see is taking the first step in trying to correct the problem and they get bagged on for it, whilest the F/N and Environmentalists stand in the sun well that just p*&&%& me off :evil:
Crazy D

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.