BC Fishing Reports banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I have pretty much given up on getting my rod and reel back that I lost last week but without a rod I'm starting to jones for fishing like a crack addict out of crack, it's bad...so I need a new set up and want some advice/opinion...so, Abu Garcia 6500c4 or the equvilant shimano reel. I lost a 6500c3 and it wasn't fancy but it was tough, I am kinda hard on my stuff. So let me know what you think and if you have a rod brand suggestion too... Thanks in advance

·
Registered
20 Posts
I use a 10'6 Fenwick HMX medium action with an Abu Garcia 6600 C4 and it's great! It's light and sensitive to detect subtle bites. I would choose a rod that has at least an IM7 blank because they're generally priced very reasonable around $100 ish.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I have both ABA Garcia and Shimano reels I like them both. I would say though in my opinion the ABU Garcia are a little tougher than the Shimanos at least when you are buy the cheaper models. My Corsair 301a level wind gear strip out this season so replaced it with the 301a cardiff and I love it way better drag and back lash control. I got the 5600 and 6600 never had a problem but I think the shimano cast better. Break the bank and get the curado my friend has one and its way nicer. Any one know where to get parts for my dicontiued corsair?

·
Registered
364 Posts
Hi , sorry about you losing your rig. That really bites. Try looking on ebay. I buy all my stuff on there. I bought a brand new in box Calcutta 400b for 200 bucks. If you want to find some used stuff you can find some good deals on reels there. You can't go wrong with the Abu 6500 c4. Anyways that is food for thought. Trust me you can find some good deals on ebay.

·
Registered
43 Posts
A reason I've stuck with Abus is that they're tough and they're simple. If you drop them in the sand you can disassemble at the side of the river. Shimanos are much more complicated from what I've seen.

Check out the Abu Records, they're very smooth, but tough and easy to disassemble.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Reel parts

I have both ABA Garcia and Shimano reels I like them both. I would say though in my opinion the ABU Garcia are a little tougher than the Shimanos at least when you are buy the cheaper models. My Corsair 301a level wind gear strip out this season so replaced it with the 301a cardiff and I love it way better drag and back lash control. I got the 5600 and 6600 never had a problem but I think the shimano cast better. Break the bank and get the curado my friend has one and its way nicer. Any one know where to get parts for my dicontiued corsair?

Check out Mikes Reel Repair in Abbotsford good place to start

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have had Abu reels. Now have Shimano and would not go back, they make excellent tough reels with smooth drag.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Just my opinion , from me to you, as you stated that you are hard on your gear,-------out of the 2 -----the abu for the money spent,-----BUT depending on what you use it for the large quantum gold reel, the one with the key chuck that moves back & forth with the line.
We use the quantum for all types of fishing from big springs to steelies even for tossing spoons for the ho's built tuff to take a beating even recommended by the man him self at mikes reel repairs mine is 4 years old and has never skipped a beat .-----we have been told best bang for the buck, around 120.00 or less on sale------------BUT that is just my 2cents worth good luck-------------ooooooooo and for that price it dose not heart as much when you lose one and if you do wear it out it's cheaper to just buy the new one, that's the part the reel repair guy didn't want to tell me----LMAO
As for the rod,------well that is just a touch and feel type of thing, rod's are a bit more well you know what I mean I personally have every thing from a Loomis to a temple fork and even an old Shimano Canadian Custom Series, they do not make them any more as they never ever break and had power coming out the ying yang, but it's all feel and fishing specific, if you catch my drift.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I got the 6500c4 with the 10'6" fenwick hmx. Just replaced the reel from 6500 c3 after 8 years. Never had any complaints. Always there when I needed it and could even horse the biggest springs.

·
Registered
281 Posts
I know it's a bit too late but I am a big fan of the Diawa Luna. I did have a Calcutta and used various Abus but the Luna just feels more refined. It's drag kicks butt and I love how it casts.

Just my .02.

Tim...still not as sweet as the Avet though...:)

·
Registered
604 Posts
Hey Tim, nice to hear Diawa making a name for themselves again with the level winds. I never liked the old Millionaires they had and always trended towards the Abu's but these days many of them are made in China now so I have veered away from them. I think the Records are still Swedish made though. My latest reel is a Shimano Calcutta TE and it is awesome. The drag is the most butter smooth I have ever used.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Nice choice - My Abu 6501 on my 10'6' HMX has never let me down. i did however swap out the double paddled handle for a power handle made for the 7000 series BIG improvement

·
Registered
89 Posts
I use a 10'6 Fenwick HMX medium action with an Abu Garcia 6600 C4 and it's great! It's light and sensitive to detect subtle bites. I would choose a rod that has at least an IM7 blank because they're generally priced very reasonable around $100 ish.
Exactly what i use for Steelhead on the Vedder, excellent set up

1 - 20 of 23 Posts