BC Fishing Reports banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I only have a compact car and I'm wondering if I can safely access Black lake in Roche Lake Provincial Park if I drive slow and avoid potholes, or is the road too treacherous?

·
Registered
103 Posts
Re Black Lake in a compact car.........forget it. The road would swallow the car, eat the undercarriage, tear off the muffler and shred the tires.

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
Yup...I agree with Barkleyjames regarding Black Lake. It's a short stretch of "road", but last time I went through there, the rocks looked sharp and there were definitely some bumps in the "road". Just park and walk in with your tube if you have a car.

Roche is pretty much gravel highway travel. Not sure about Bog these days.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Bah!
You should definately be able to get into Black, and could continue on to Bog if it's not muddy.
I have seen lots of cars in there (I drive a Jeep).
Just drive carefully, pick the high path and avoid scraping bottom.

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
big_hitter44 said:
I have seen lots of cars in there (I drive a Jeep).
LOL...I like the way you put your Jeep in there with the cars... :D

It's not so much that it's a very rough terrain for a car to get into, like I said...bumpy. My concern with those tiny thin-walled car tires is more the sharp rocks that litter that trail. They look like they would slice through car tires like a hot knife on butter, and I'm not enthusiastic about changing tires on the trail or walking. But yeah, if you don't mind that, go for it.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Hey stone,
Sorry I was not implying that my Jeep is a car :p
I was up there once in a full size Bronco in the spring and was surprised to see a Chrysler K-Car driving past Bog.

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
big_hitter44 said:
I was up there once in a full size Bronco in the spring and was surprised to see a Chrysler K-Car driving past Bog.
The saying "where there's a will, there's a way" really applies to how some people can get into the most unexpected places in things like VW Rabbits and Pontiac Fireflies. :shock: :lol:

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Having owned three trucks/SUVs before my compact I think I tend to treat it a little more tenderly than some folk. I was up in Squamish hiking a few weeks back and failed to climb an extremely steep shale (very sharp) slope and had to park at the bottom and walk the 1.5 km to the trailhead. It was evident that only 4x4s were getting past that crux point and that wasn't the last of the steep rocky stuff, there were two other tough spots. It was evident of course, up until I reached the upper trailhead and found a Toyota Echo (same car I drive) parked there.

Must have been a rental.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts