BC Fishing Reports banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i am looking for some advice on what type of waders to get and where is a good place to get them. i wade in rivers and use them in a belly boat. my last pair were stolen. just looking for a low to mid range price. thanks
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
736 Posts
Simms Freestones. Cheap. Very good quality and real comfortable. ;) Reaction Fly and Tackle is where I got mine. They are a great help on sizing and Darryl is a great guy. Can't go wrong with them. :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,168 Posts
I just saw a new pair of breathables at Hatch Matchers that are puncture proof. Man are they nice. Sorry I forgot what the price was but I know they where under $300. Simms also makes different models. I got the new simms L2 and they are so comfortable. $279 at Searun tackle. You could also check out Army and Navy.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,667 Posts
flyguy said:
I just saw a new pair of breathables at Hatch Matchers that are puncture proof. Man are they nice. Sorry I forgot what the price was but I know they where under $300.
I have yet to see a pair of waders that are "puncture proof". ;) Having said that, take my word that anything with a genuine Gore-Tex membrane is your best bet in terms of durability and breathability. The Simms L2 that you mentioned are good waders. Even if you splurge for a new pair of G4's, just remember that there is wear and tear on even the best of these waders, and after a few years, even the best ones will spring a leak or two. Good luck.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
911 Posts
Hey Thatton ,
Being a long time noe guy myself I just made the switch to breathables. My concern was I didnt want to spend 3 or 4 hundred bucks on them and then find out I didn't like them. I bought a pair of simms freestones and got them very cheap. I've had them out half a dozen times last month and I just love em'. I find my legs dont get tired walking , and you dont seem to sweat like a dog when on the move.
Be careful though if you buy a canadian tire special style wader, cheap with the rubber boot bottom. Having the hard rubbber boot sole is extremely slippery come this time of year. To solve in you could bonding adhes. and a thick felt pak and that'll solve that.
Cheers,
Crazy D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
90 Posts
Stone is correct, all breathables will leak over time. I find usually that guide weight waders are thicker and the seams stronger so they do last longer. The important thing is to find a brand that has a good warranty and return policy. I have a pair of orvis proguide 2's. If they ever spring a leak (even 5 years later) I can bring them back to the store and they will give me a new pair no questions asked. They have a good deal on them right now. You can either buy them online or go visit the store in Bellevue. With the exchange, the price is unbeatable.

http://www.orvis.com/store/product_..._id=777&cat_id=5595&subcat_id=7312&pf_id=60LP
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
31 Posts
With the dollar being what it is, have you thought of Cabela's?
Very good, reliable products, at half decent prices. The sizing charts should make it easy.
I haven't tried their waders personally, but I'm thinking about it myself, for when the time comes. :cheers:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
14 Posts
chum8888 said:
Stone is correct, all breathables will leak over time. I find usually that guide weight waders are thicker and the seams stronger so they do last longer. The important thing is to find a brand that has a good warranty and return policy. I have a pair of orvis proguide 2's. If they ever spring a leak (even 5 years later) I can bring them back to the store and they will give me a new pair no questions asked. They have a good deal on them right now. You can either buy them online or go visit the store in Bellevue. With the exchange, the price is unbeatable.

http://www.orvis.com/store/product_..._id=777&cat_id=5595&subcat_id=7312&pf_id=60LP
I completely agree with Chum 8888 - All and I repeat ALL breath-ables will eventually leak.

If there is a company with a better return policy than Orvis, Please tell us about it. Orvis waders are great - they generally last two to three seasons then simply return them for a new set, if they leak earlier than that just get a new pair when you return your old ones.

A tip I got a while ago - get your waders two sizes to big, The last thing you want is tight / snugly fitting waders - they simply chafe and wear out sooner.

All the best
Mike
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
31 Posts
I had a buddy who wore waders which were too long for his legs. They bunched up in the same spots when he wore them and over time they leaked in those areas because the material just got worn and tired.
So be careful and make sure the legs aren't too long.
My two cents.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
249 Posts
vicsteve said:
With the dollar being what it is, have you thought of Cabela's?
Very good, reliable products, at half decent prices. The sizing charts should make it easy.
I haven't tried their waders personally, but I'm thinking about it myself, for when the time comes. :cheers:
Oddly, Cabelas does not carry Orvis.

LL
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
3,732 Posts
Cabello's have a neoprene wader that lasts but doesen't seem to be much different than other brands.

Looking for a new pair myself. :beerchug: Marko
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,812 Posts
Cabellas house brand products have an excellent value-to-quality ratio. Most of their gear is manufactured at other well known manufacturers plants and branded for Cabelas. They have an excellent breathable wader for 169.95 US (166.68 Canadian :thumbup: :thumbup:) :

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/t...5_TGP&parentType=index&indexId=cat350005&rid=

I would recommend breathable is you are buying a new pair. Once you have had them you will never go back to sealskins - oops, neoprenes again. Get them large enough to fit layers under and you will never have to be cold or sweaty again.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
12 Posts
I love breathables. Cabelas makes some very nice mid-range cost models. The Dry Plus premium or gold medal are good ones. Bought premium dry plus waist highs (about 100 bucks) 4 years ago and fished them tons no leaks yet. The bootfoot version had problems though. Had two friends with bad experince with those. Hodgman have been good too. Have a pair of wadelite chest waders that have done well for me also.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
249 Posts
professori said:
Cabellas house brand products have an excellent value-to-quality ratio. Most of their gear is manufactured at other well known manufacturers plants and branded for Cabelas. They have an excellent breathable wader for 169.95 US (166.68 Canadian :thumbup: :thumbup:) :
I've spent virtually my entire professional life converting from USD to CDN and I can't tell you how weird it is to see the values reversed. It'll take some time to get used to charging my customers LESS when converted from USD to CDN.
But DAMN, it's cool now that the wader boot is on the other foot :happy:

LL
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,468 Posts
With breathables correct fit is EXTREMELY important. 3 guys that I fish with on a regular basis have had problems due to incorrect fit. (legs rubbing)
You want the legs to not be baggy and rub while walking.
You should be able to squat without the seam in the butt section being tight.
You should be able to lift your leg (like to step onto a rock/downed tree) and not be restricted by the waders.

Any knowledgeable tackle shop should be able to help you get into the correct size of waders. I started with neos, switched to breathables which are out on warranty right now. All I can say is I cant wait to put my neos back into the closet as backups and hopefully not have to wear them again for along time.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,812 Posts
rdsteel said:
I love breathables. Cabelas makes some very nice mid-range cost models. The Dry Plus premium or gold medal are good ones. Bought premium dry plus waist highs (about 100 bucks) 4 years ago and fished them tons no leaks yet. The bootfoot version had problems though. Had two friends with bad experince with those. Hodgman have been good too. Have a pair of wadelite chest waders that have done well for me also.
I have a pair of the Hodgman wadelites also. They served me well for two years (one of which I fished 100+ days), jowever they now have developed a small leak on the instep of the left foot and I can't seem to stop it. One more try and they are about ready for retirement.
 
1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top