BC Fishing Reports banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm still new! :(

So I have this 6'6 medium action rod that I bought from Canadian tire (Zebco brand), and I'm still a little confused as to what I can do with it.

I attempted barfishing on the Fraser (Brownsville) and pier fishing, and I'm out of line.

Well, the line I had sucked, anyway. 4lb test. Broke off every time I threw it.

I'm looking into buying a 20lb test line for this rod, but people seem to be a little edgy by it. Could anybody please explain to me why I should or shouldn't buy 20lb line?

And I also have the option of buying a 50lb test line for the same price. If anybody could tell me which is better for my rod or where I'm fishing and tell me the differences, thanks. I'd appreciate it a lot :)

·
Retired staff
6,673 Posts
Hey noobfisher, if you're wanting to fish the Fraser, particularly bar fish, you'll want to gear up a bit differently...

Here's a link to an article written by Mike D....should give you a better idea...

http://www.bcfishingreports.com/forum/index.php/topic,3024.0.html

As for your setup there, I would think it would be better suited to spinner fishing for trout in lakes and streams...or trolling for them as well I guess. In the upcoming season with the salmon coming in, there are several options, but all would demand some different gear that what you have there.

Better to invest in something more practicle for the Fraser, salmon in particular, if that is what you are wanting to fish for...

:cheers:

G

·
Zebco rods are great for the garden for keeping your Roses from drooping, they're not suitable for fishing.

Shakespeare rods are great entry level, or Diawa Combo rods (walmart has an ok 8' Diawa combo for $49.95).
50lb test is too heavy, there is no fear of losing the fish on 50lb. IMHO I would use 15lb test for ocean and 5lb for fresh.
My personal preference for line is Spider Wire.

·
Registered
298 Posts
If you plan to go after salmon your going to need a new rod and reel. Go to a reputable tackle shop. Stay away from Can tire, A&N or Walmart. You are paying for the expert advice and years of experience the folks at stores like hubs or reaction have. This will be the best money you spend to get into the sport. expect to pay at least $300 for a rod/reel set up. But rest assured you will have the right gear for the type of fishing you are doing and it will last you years. My drift rod was purchased at freds some 10 years ago and still serves me well today. And the warranty is excellent also. :cheers:

Salmon Slayer

·
Registered
3,378 Posts
You have probably read and been advised of this before, but you do need to decide what type of fish you are targetting, and then head down to your local shop. Berry's in Richmond Hub's in Abbotsford Fred's in Chilliwack or Chwk dart & tackle....etc..Reaction in Abbotsford or Michael & Young or Army & Navy...Get yourself an all purpose setup so you can use it for trout by quick changing the reel from spin to level wind etc. Get appropriate line for the fish you are seeking....You can always lighten the leader for troutfishing.
Tell the tackle experts what your interests are as well as your $$$$ situation and they should be able to set you up with a nice rod & reel & line.....Ortho

·
Registered
21 Posts
After re-reading your post, I realized that I and everybody else didn't actually answer your question. You asked if you should put 20 lb test on your rod. The answer is basically no for 2 reasons. You won't be able to cast very far with such heavy line on such a small rod, and the reel that likely came with that rod won't hold very much 20 lb test line. You certainly shouldn't go with 50 lb test as it will only magnify these problems. Once again, 12-15lb test will be lots for that rod. You'll notice right away that there is a huge difference between 4 and 12 lb test, you won't break off while casting anymore.

·
Registered
47 Posts
So I have this 6'6 medium action rod that I bought from Canadian tire (Zebco brand), and I'm still a little confused as to what I can do with it.

I attempted barfishing on the Fraser (Brownsville) and pier fishing, and I'm out of line.
Unless you are targeting small trout and/or course fish, your rod[ and reel, I'm guessing] are too small.IMO, I would use an 8' rod with a reel with a min. cap. 140yds. of 15lbs., if I were fishing the lower[tidal] Fraser. :2cents:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.