BC Fishing Reports banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I spent the afternoon on the cowichan the other day and was very impressed.I hiked into the fly fishing section just down from the spring run.The air was thick with mayflies from the earlier hatch and I thought I was too late.I started with a beadhead nymph and had a few strikes,but I found it difficult not using a strike indicator,which is not allowed on the flyfishing section.After 5:30 I noticed a few sedges fluttering down to drop thier eggs in the river so I put on a small olive deerhair caddis.A few casts later a beautifull 3lb brown attacked my dry fly.Ten minutes later another fish rose to my offering.It was another brown.I continued to take browns for the next couple hours and even had one break my 6lb tippet.I was amazed at the number of browns in this run as it is usually mostly rainbows that are taken on small dry flies.I am looking forward to returning soon as the hatches should be strong for the next while. :thumbup:

·
Registered
477 Posts
Yes that was a very cool report boatman38! I've always wondered about fishing for Brown trout at The Cow'. Thanks for sharing your experience with us! Yet another river to add to my "must fish" list! LOL

Thanks!

-Nathan in NW

·
Registered
3,386 Posts
There are a lot of members that would love to have been in your waders during, what sounds like a teriffic afternoon of fishing one of the most beautiful waters on the Island. It's mighty tempting to skip work the next few days and head over....I understand the river is a nice pontoon drift as well.......Ortho 8)

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
unfortunately the the pics are on my buddy's camera.There are alot of people that drift the river in pontoons.Just be sure to take out before Skutz falls.The mayfly and sedge hatches are huge and I hear there is a great ant and stonefly hatch as well.I hope to camp there for a couple days so I can try after 8 or9pm as I hear this is the best for a chance at the 6 to12lbrs!I have only been on the river 3 times and so far Have caught fish each time. ;D

·
Banned
2,859 Posts
definately another river for me to add to the ones i want to fish :thumbup: sounds like you had one of those "perfect" days out there. i know this river is on the island but which end?

·
Banned
2,859 Posts
Cool thanks guys :thumbup: i didnt have time to look up a map when i posted the question. lake was calling me :happy: but i have been to Duncan before :wallbash: not the greatest little town but that was years back. How does this river fish in the Summer, say July/August and how long a drive from Campbell river area would it be? because i might be heading to campbell river area this summer (g/f's family)

·
Premium Member
2,719 Posts
HOOK said:
Cool thanks guys :thumbup: i didnt have time to look up a map when i posted the question. lake was calling me :happy: but i have been to Duncan before :wallbash: not the greatest little town but that was years back. How does this river fish in the Summer, say July/August and how long a drive from Campbell river area would it be? because i might be heading to campbell river area this summer (g/f's family)
Creek mouths at Cow lake can be great in the summer with skinny black 'buggers or anything halgramite(ish), the river will be low and warm and lots of tubers. The river is low allready and there is some snow in the hills still but sounds like they are going to keep as much water in the lake as can till the salmon show up.
Campbell river area though........ pinks off the beach :thumbup: Had good cutty fishing in the estuaries around then too :cheers:

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
HOOK said:
Duncan is an ok place to drive through, but not a place to stay. From the warf in Campbell River, the drive to the Cow is probably 2-2.5 hrs on the highway...longer if you take the old Island Highway, but it's more scenic and has a ton of places to fish along the beach. Taking the Inland Highway will take you past Spider Lake, Maple Lake and a few others :thumbup:

Send me a PM if you want more info

·
Registered
234 Posts
I have been staying in Duncan for the last 5 weeks and fishing the cow. I was wondering where the fly fishing area is? I have been at stoltz pools and have caught a few small fish, but would love to get a bigger one here and there.....

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
scoopy said:
I have been staying in Duncan for the last 5 weeks and fishing the cow. I was wondering where the fly fishing area is? I have been at stoltz pools and have caught a few small fish, but would love to get a bigger one here and there.....
Check the regs for the cowichan river.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.