BC Fishing Reports banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
708 Posts
on the downside about chums, After a conversation with some one from DFO, they appear to be expecting them early and the run size to be small. So for those that like to whack a few to smoke, you better get out there asap.

·
Registered
708 Posts
brisco said:
They netted 1 coho :eek: Steelhead= 0 :eek: Are they really going to tell us they are netting and killing tons of steelies? Man, is it possible we will see the exinction of coho in the Fraser?
Yes they will tell you they are netting tons of steelhead if they ever catch "tons of steelhead".Just check past years of test fishing when they would have 15-20 by now. All steelhead caught in the Albion test fishery are released as per regulation.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yes they will tell you they are netting tons of steelhead if they ever catch "tons of steelhead".Just check past years of test fishing when they would have 15-20 by now. All steelhead caught in the Albion test fishery are released as per regulation.
[/quote]

I have no idea how the test fishery works. I just assumed fish would be injured. How do they operate?

·
Registered
708 Posts
brisco said:
I have no idea how the test fishery works. I just assumed fish would be injured. How do they operate?
the boat operator sets a gillnet at a certain location, at a certain time of the tide and makes a drift for a certain amount of time then pulls the net. They do this the same way every day, day in day out so the info gathered is all gathered the same way. In September gillnetter alternates from using a multi panel chinook net to a chum net every other day. The info has been gather this way for many years now. Any steelhead caught are put in a "live release" tank and released at the end of fishing each day. DFO sells the salmon at the end of each day to pay the wages of the gillnetter out there fishing. This is the basis of what happens and I may be slightly misinformed on who is technically selling the salmon due to court decsions in recent years.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.