BC Fishing Reports banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I noted that the chum return numbers are now really starting to increase. Last few days to be specific. I took a run up the Stave yesterday and had a good look around. I didn't see anything for chums. No jumpers, nothing. It doesn't mean they are not there of course, but what other tributaries are the Fraser Chums heading too.
On a funny side note, had a sockeye jump into my outboard when I was anchored in the fraser. Not sure which one of us was more freaked out at that moment.:D

·
Retired Administrator
4,448 Posts
On a funny side not, had a sockeye jump into my outboard when I was anchored in the fraser. Not sure which one of us was more freaked out at that moment.:D
Sashimi, mmmmm good!

Thanks for the update. For how to catch Chum and where, look at Ribwarts last post in the other Chum thread which is now closed for obvious reasons. I wish I could say more but some unsolicited feedback says I need to bite my tongue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Banned
1,355 Posts
My dad was playing a coho, fishing the coalport back in the day when there was coho and the fish ran towards him and smacked into the side of the boat and was knocked out! He grabbed the net and easily scooped it up!I had coho following the one that was hooked on the end of my line there back in the good ole days.Later in the season when the northerns showed up it was lights out fishing.I had to run the boat between. the nets to get out to the fishing grounds on some days when there was openings...yes openings for coho.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have fished the chums for some time and thought Ribs post was very good. My local seafood store will be out a few fresh shrimpies over the next 6 weeks or so. Do chums prefer shrimp from local waters or are the oh so common frozen Thai ones just as productive. I don't eat the sushimi, but love the visual appeal of it. Fish art:p
I used to love the northern coho fishing up island Dennis. Fogged in tight to the kelp bed, 12-16 pound averages that bent hooks and often took us into the path of a local ferry we could only hear. For every fish that jumps into or onto a boat, there are many more stories of boats running into the beaches, shoals, docks or other boats. (Me included) I think the salmon species has us beat for natural ability when it come to aquatic navigation. I just wonder where they are all navigating too when they hit the Fraser. It is obviously not just the stave river.
They are the meanest looking salmon during the early spawning stages.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts