BC Fishing Reports banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

· Registered
64 Posts
So today I took out two friends who are new to fishing... Tried to teach them a few things at Allison Pools (Part of the Vedder) and to my disgusting surprise I saw trash and beer cans EVERYWHERE on the shoreline. I usually will see a bit of garbage, but I am talking enough cans for a bum to become rich and not just in one spot. There was one part that had a complete garbage bag opened up with shit everywhere. What the #%^^ is wrong with people! Has anyone else noticed more trash then the usual on the vedder shorelines? Also does anyone know of a local river "clean up" I can help out in..?

· Registered
1,539 Posts
beer can's can't be explained but a trash bag ripped open sounds like a bear....

Yeah I was at the skag this summer and found a few cans...it bothers me to know that someone can not care about such a pristine spot and spoil it for everyone else. truly sad.

· Registered
909 Posts
Actually I've noticed alot more inflatable crap left in the river this year. I got a funny suprise yesterday as I was crossing a log jam there must have been a dozen or so rubber ducks floating around in there.
Crazy D

· Registered
69 Posts
Yah, I've noticed a lot of garbage around the Allison Pools area. That ripped up bag does sound like a bear though. Too bad people don't think of that when they leave a full garbage bag around an area like that.

A little while ago I was fishing around the corner from the cabins at that run and found tons of garbage there. I also found 2 plastic bags and was able to fill both of them up while I was waiting for the run to cool down after hooking up with a fish.

· Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
small axe thanks for the info -
worst part about it is I didn't hook into anything either today! i think the pools need another week or so, then they should be packed. have you ever seen a black bear in that area??

· Registered
1,061 Posts
GrandA, were the caterpillars crossing the road yet between the Tolmie Slide and the Allison turnoff? That's usually a good indicator when the coho are in there thick. Don't laugh, its been a consistant measuring stick for decades. Theres a few more for other rivers, some other time

· Banned
934 Posts
ok what is up with rubber duckies last year i saw a few go floating past me aslo are people like using them for floats or is there liek pike or musky in the vedder now that people are trying to catch them top water lol dear god i hope there is never any pike or musky in there so what is up wiht the rubber duckies please some inform me of what thats all about

· Retired staff
6,673 Posts
As Smallaxe mentioned there is a clean up day this weekend...Now sometimes anglers can't make it out for these, or they have very limited time on the river that day and prefer to fish and that is understandable and each persons choice, but that doesn't mean we can't all do a little clean up of our own while we are out there...

I would urge everyone to try and pick up some garbage each time they are on the river. Sometimes my vest comes back full of junk, and it can be a disgusting process unloading it, but it is well worth it to give back to the river...

In this way, even if we aren't participating in one of the officially sponsored clean up events, at the very least we are supporting and participating in the spirit they promote...

Now I am sure many of you already do this, so this is in no way a criticism, but it is good to point out that we can all help our rivers each time we are out there...Cleaning up everytime we are out there is a quality of a responsible sport fisher and in the spirit of BCFR.

:cheers:

· Registered
909 Posts
Well put Rib, I wonder if we could organize a forum clean up day or afternoon. Hit the morning bite then do a cleanup area, lunch maybe then the pm fish.
Fisher you hit it right on with the source of the ducks, I beleive it was mid Aug, whne they released them.
Crazy D

· Registered
3,796 Posts
tsuri said:
That ripped up bag does sound like a bear though. Too bad people don't think of that when they leave a full garbage bag around an area like that.
Who cares about bears in the area, the real question is what the heck is someone doing leaving a full bag of garbage in the area. It really show that people think our roadsides are their personal garbage dumps. No matter how much I see, I can never figure out what kind of mouth breather idiot feels my world is his tiolet. :wallbash: I always try to live by the motto: "Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints."

· Registered
24 Posts
Well put Rib. I personally like to enjoy the odd "pop" while out on the flow, difference is, I pack my empties out, as well as others. Seems every time I am on the Cheddar, I end up packing out a full white garbage bag. If I wasn't working today :wallbash: I'd be out there!

I enjoy my time on the flow's, but it really irks me to see people out there with no regard to others, and the beautiful flow's we are blessed with in BC.

G

· Registered
69 Posts
All the crap is probably from the weekend parties at cedar run,
And Allison, Tamihi, and a million other places along the river. Back in the day, when I went to high school at Chwk Senior I know that my friends and I partied at the river all the time. And we definitely weren't the only ones doing so.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.