BC Fishing Reports banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok let me try this again! the last time i asked about this river all hell broke loose! and man the responces were great!(right....) all i would like to know is how the fisher ppl are doing now that the steelhead season is comming to an end? i know that ppl don't like to report on this river and well i think thats fine to each there own! but for the few ppl out there who fish this river and would like to report on it i would love to hear about it! i think this river is majestic in it's own way and the next time i go there i hope to catch a trout or two! thanx so much .

C.K.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Oh here we go again.

I would like to make a proposal here and now, either people accept the posting of reports on any or all waters fished for the benefit of all or rename the entire Web site BCNOFishingReports.com

·
Retired staff
6,684 Posts
OK, Here we go, berean_man7 said....

either people accept the posting of reports on any or all waters fished for the benefit of all or rename the entire Web site BCNOFishingReports.com
I think most are already on board with the acceptance bit...give or take one or ten....and for the most part we usually pm about specific flows we choose not to speak of, but BM7, you gave me an idea.... :idea:
maybe we could make the reports in this forum a little more intriguing/quantitative if we just refered to some of the trips to the hush hush rivers we frequent, as say, the "zipperlip" river, or the "river of golden dreams" or something?
It still creates the enthusiasm for fishing, but more encourages the personal exploration of our province more than the magic spot theory...
Maybe that would make it somewhat easier on those of us who are more challenged in the overprotective angry rebutal department? :lol: :lol: :lol:
Whadda ya all think?
Can you imagine the severe drop in fishing pressure on the vedder after a few reports of big wild steelies hooked and carefully released in bear creek??? 8) :wink:
IE: How 'bout that beauty fresh 20 lb spring you landed on the lower Lynn last weekend, what a brute??!! :shock:

As for changing the name of the forum, I'm not so sure, but if people crop their fish pics well enough, what we could do is just refer to every river we fish as the vedder!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Wait a sec, don't we do that already???? :? :roll:

·
Registered
3,812 Posts
I don't know why you people can't play nice. Pay attention to the facts and not your immediate emotional reaction, and perhaps some meaningful debate can take place. The Outdoor Recreation Council released the following list of the 10 most endangered rivers in BC:

1. (tied) Cheakamus River (toxic spills, significant fish kills, low flows)
1. (tied) Greater Georgia Basin steelhead streams (historically low steelhead stocks, habitat loss through urbanization, water extraction, water contamination, destabilization of steep banks, low summer flows, high water temperatures)
3. Fraser River (urbanization, sewage, pollution, lower summer flows, gravel extraction, agricultural impacts, reduced protection for urban stream tributaries)
4. Taku River (habitat loss because of mining activity and road building, acid mine drainage)
5. Coldwater River (excessive water extraction, low summer flows, high water temperatures)
6. Coquitlam River (excessive sedimentation, gravel extraction, urbanization, urban runoff)
7. Chehalis River (proposed placer and gravel mining, concerns about siltation)
8. Okanagan River (channelization, water extraction, urban encroachment, riparian habitat loss and the building of dams and weirs)
9. Kettle River (potential dam, potential for reduced water flows from proposed power project, species at risk)
10. (tied) Salmon River (declining fish stocks, agricultural pollution, flash floods, falling water tables, urbanization)
10. (tied) Iskut/Stikine (impacts of proposed power project, loss of habitat through road-building, possible mining activity)

The major causes of degradation of these systems are development and urbanization. Only one river, the Salmon, is noted for declining fish stocks (presumably over-fishing) as a cause for river degradation. Note that the Alouette, Nicomekle, Serpentine, etc. are not there. Last year the Chilliwack/Vedder was listed number 5 due to development, but I didn't see anyone getting a twist in their knickers from folks posting reports on that endangered system. We all have our favorite little "secret" spots, but the reality is they aren't our spots and they sure as hell aren't secret. Lighten up and learn.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Heres a report

I had the fishiest weekend in a long time. Three buddies and myself started on the vedder friday morning and fished all day at many spots. We stayed at the cabins at wilson. ( I highly recommend the comidations) we fished saturday and sunday as well. We each were able to tag into some great chromies. I had the fishing bug so bad that I decided not to venture to the Vedder on Monday and instead try my hand in my own backyard for steelies on the alloette. I started early at the Cliffs. I did get a white fish right off the bat but nothing in the way of what I was looking for. Around 9 am I ventured downstream. I have walked this river so many times I know every bend and every hole and in the past you were able to come across and visually see the odd fish or two in certian spots, but not this time! I have many friends who fish the ditch and everyone agrees that this year was the worst year!!! We have always been able to pull something out of the cliffs. (I have fished the alloutte 5 times this year) Anyways I ventured all the way down to 216th and talked to a few guys, it was a very quite morning. Now one reason could be due to the fact that we are in late season? From 216th I meet up with a buddy and we decided to go up to glacier and we fished that down to hot rocks from about 10am to around 2pm, and nothing. The alloutte is not very good right now in my opion its worth the drive to chilliwack to hook on. But if you want real advise on the vedder don't fish below, go up stream. I have fished the vedder so many times in the past but never ventured as I did this year and the Chilliwack river is a dream river. Bugs seems to be the choose of bait for this weekend. As our puss sacs went quite. I also belive I broke my personal best for fish on this year at 21. 9 of which were hacth doews. And of course I released them all!

·
Retired staff
6,684 Posts
Sanderson Woa! What do I have to do, put in subtitles and disclaimers so that you get the point??? :?
(now, read this AT LEAST TWICE, if not three times before you blow a fuse, ok?):
I thought it was obvious my post above was all tongue in cheek, In fact I thought it was downright funny!
Big springs in lynn creek! ? :lol: :lol: :lol: Fresh steelies in bear creek!!!!! quick grab the rods......
Fishing for steelhead in the river of golden dreams???? :lol: 8) (let's keep that a secret :oops: )
You know where that is don't you? It's a ditch that Runs right through downtown whistler...
If you pay attention to the happy little faces (emoticons) that go with my previous post, you'll get the point, it was simply an attempt at humor, as it seems this topic of secret rivers will never be resolved and I find it pretty funny it keeps coming up!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:
So, I'm sorry you didn't get the joke :cry: , but I've never really been much of a comedian anyway :lol: :lol: :lol:
and for anyone else who didn't get it, hopefully it is painfully obvious now!!! :D
Seems your a little uptight there Sandy, lighten up...life's too short to be this agro :D :D :D :wink:

Nice report cohopk, I haven't done well on the allouette this year either, I believe coho killer also gave it a few shots in some spots I had mentioned and he too encountered limited success, although I seem to recall he did get into one for sure....but I too haven't seen many fish in there this year. I guess not all the rivers are enjoying a bumper year :cry:

·
Registered
3,386 Posts
Hey Sanderson........You'r gonna need more than that to get me to jump in. I don't troll too easily..........Old & wise........Keep in mind, I grew up on the Allouette, have caught hundreds of fish in it and will continue to fish it with success, because I know every rock in the river.......Ortho 8)

·
Registered
2,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Sanderson you ever think he doesn't want to? :roll: a pm might work!!!!! :D

·
Registered
28 Posts
There is a river in Maple Shrub that has fish in it??!! Damn please do tell so all of us can rush over there and kill all the fish in it!! Lets go and net suicide creek well we are at it and then drive to the Dean and hammer it to! all in a good days fun of the posters and readers of this forum becouse that is all of our goal is to make sure there are no fish in any system for us to fish for. Cheers.

JUST in case I am not being clear- I am in favor of reports, thats the site name is it not!

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
This topic has been brought up before and I consider it "beating a dead horse".The results are the same and it's tiresome to watch us beat each other up over fishing reports.The last time I checked it was a free country and if any individual devulges info on any river big or small it is done so by their own choice.
I have personally slowed down my reports as I have seen the results of some great reports and that is alot more people on the river where I choose to fish.
the internet can be detromental to our fisheries.

My two cents worth.

Hotrod

·
Registered
28 Posts
Hotrod- I am not sure that making something known is a bad thing ie. more people who may help care for it. It is easyER for corporations to destroy an ecosystem when there is no resistance. Not break'n balls just my 2 cents. Cheers.

·
Registered
3,812 Posts
"I'd call you a sadistic, beastial, necrophiliac....but that's only beating a dead horse"
Woody Allen in What's Up Tigerlily

·
Registered
28 Posts
I rarely touch anything touchy, (except my wife) but I would like to add my opinion.

Unless we are speaking of a fly-in lake or a remote location that is not on a provincial map, why would we not share our experiences with each other? Seriously now, I have only started fishing avidly again in the last few years, and I am amazed at the frustration that some fisherman have with each other..... People who abuse regulations are generally abusive people by nature, leave them to their fate... they will make stupid choices regardless of the honorable fisherman with honorable intentions opinions. I will tell you where I caught a fish, I will tell you how I caught the fish and I will assume you are going to do the same for me....If not, then this site is simply to brag about what a great fisherman I am, and I already have my wife for that!!!!!!!
Just a thought.

FishinFreak

[/b]

1 - 17 of 17 Posts