BC Fishing Reports banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Well, I've just got to share the great day fishing I just had. It was my first time fishing the Alouette and my first time fishing in years. After about an hour and a half of nothing, I looked over to see my rod bent right over, HOLY SHEET! My wife got the other rod in and turned of the boat and I knew I had a great fish on. Took about ten minutes to get him in. My best guess would be about 10lbs and about 28". I wasn't sure what kind of trout it was, but I later checked online and believe it to be a bull trout. Large head, silvery body with red dots, white leading edges on all fins, blackish gums and TEETH galore. I cut the hook and let him go for another day even though my wife and kids wanted him on the bbq. Man did that make my day.:thumbup: And yes I got video to prove it, sorry for the editing.

·
Retired Administrator
4,447 Posts
Thanks for sharing that. I didn't think it was going to fit in the net, it was sure stuffed in there. That's funny that you originally thought it was a Laker as there is an urban legend going around on this forum that they inhabit the lake although no one can seem to prove it.

·
Registered
166 Posts
I think it's great that you released such a nice fish, especially since your wife wanted it for the BBQ. My friends think I'm nuts for relasing most of my fish. I keep enough for eating myself(wife is a vegetarian) and get more pleasure seeing a fish that has given me a great fight another chance to pass on it's genes.

·
Retired Administrator
4,447 Posts
Speaking of catch and release, yes kudos for thinking about the big picture. One small piece of advice, if you plan on releasing more fish I would invest in a larger net, one that will cradle the fish evenly thereby not harming the internal organs or bending the spine too much. There are some really nice 'catch and release' nets out there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes a bigger mesh net is my next purchase, I did not expect to catch such a large fish. That net was for my float tube and 2lb rainbows. Yes it was a little rougher than I would have liked but I did cut the hook and returned him to the water fairly quickly. I do release 90% of the fish I catch.

·
Registered
3,386 Posts
Well done, my friend.........beautiful fish, some good camera work by your wife, and some exited siblings to round out the video...Glad you released this fish....class act....I am the one waiting to eat a shirt when and if the first laker is filmed in vid. or still from Allouette Lake......Thought I might have to miss a few meals when you said "might be a lake trout"........Believe me, there are some big trout in the lake and glad to see you tagged one of 'em............Ortho

·
Registered
104 Posts
good show! i have seen people take too many big bulls out of that lake for the dinner in the few times i have been there. nice to see someone teaching their kids about the importance of catch and release, not to mention someone having a good early season day on that lake. :)

·
Registered
68 Posts
Nice fish indeed. Must be a cousin of the one we got last week, which was a little bigger (about 13-14#) and also released to swim another day. Found the reaction from a nearby boat quite interesting when I held it up quickly for them to see then slipped it back into the water for a quick revival and release. The two guys in the other boat were beside themselves with grief that we let it "get away". "If you didn't want it, we would have taken it!" they lamented. "It's still here for the taking, all you have to do is catch it" I said. That got me the 1 finger salute. Oh well, to each their own. We also got a huge dolly to the boat this spring that had to be pushing 20#.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Nice Fish. I havent seen anything like that come out of that lake yet, just tons of Kokanees when I have fished there. I have tried to go deep for those big Bulls with a Deep Six and an Apex lure with no luck yet. What were you using?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts