BC Fishing Reports banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
we have an aluminum boat that leaks. someone told my partner to get a clear product that you can paint on the outside of the boat.. it is called thru the roof. has anyone heard of this product? any other suggestions would be appreciated.

jim

·
Registered
587 Posts
I haven't heard of that stuff, however I have used sikaflex on hull leaks or even just a hammer and a piece of 2X4 to tighten the rivits. A friend of mind used an epoxy that he uses in construction and it worked great on fixing an actual hole in the hull of his 12'....I can't remember the name but I will get it.

G

·
When I had my 14' Aluminum, I used White Knight roof coat on it to seal the hull inside and out. Its manufactured to seal aluminum Roofs, you can get it at Rona & Home Hardware. It worked really good on my boat, plus it looked good with the white.

·
Registered
52 Posts
a product called 'gluvit' works remarkably well. it is an epoxy compound that is especially made for leaks in aluminum boats. it is a bit pricey, about $50 a quart, but use it once and cover the area well, and you'll be leak free for many many years.
Gman

·
Registered
36 Posts
Gman....

Did you use "Gluvit" on the inside, or the outside? Would it work as well applied to the bottom/outside while the boat is upright?
I've got a 19' that has the usual riveted boat syndrome as well, but to take the floor out would be a major ordeal, so sealing has do be from the outside only.

Thanks.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Hey there,

I'm bought my 15" aluminum with what looks to have had Gluvit applied on the outside. I have no idea when that might have been, but I since applied it on the inside, paying particular attention to the rivetted areas. Try the outside first and see what happens. If you have "larger" sized cracks or holes, you may also consider using something called "Quick Aluminum" (I think). I comes in a clear plastic tube, and it is an amazing product. I've applied this stuff to holes the size of dimes and quarters on my transom and it seals them up great. Its dead easy to apply and dries in about 15 minutes. It only costs about $15 for a tube. I found this stuff at my local marine shop.
Gman

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
I would have to suggest Gluvit as well, though it is better used from the inside of the hull. My Starcraft project recieved 2 full coats on all of the rivets and seams and it does an amazing job sealing up the hull. Gluvit is an epoxy resin that flexes with an aluminum hull which differs from regular epoxy which wont flex but crack instead.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.