BC Fishing Reports banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I hope those who continually badmouth this gem stay away and not ruin it for those that enjoy their time there. I have fished this river for a LOT of years and have NEVER witnessed a fight, and have only had a HANDFUL of unpleasant moments over the YEARS(20+) of fishing there. It makes me think that those who witness(or have partaken in) this terrible behavior must be either looking for it, or provoking others into it.

To say you need to fish in a group, or that almost every fishing report seems to have replies that imply fish are being snagged ect. is ludicrous! Sure there are a few bad apples, but the majority(including the newbies/uneducated) are there to A.catch fish and B. enjoy their day. The day you have out there is what YOU make it, regardless of what's around you.

Tired of the negative comments, but perhaps it's just me.

·
Registered
648 Posts
imfishing said:
I hope those who continually badmouth this gem stay away and not ruin it for those that enjoy their time there. I have fished this river for a LOT of years and have NEVER witnessed a fight, and have only had a HANDFUL of unpleasant moments over the YEARS(20+) of fishing there. It makes me think that those who witness(or have partaken in) this terrible behavior must be either looking for it, or provoking others into it.

To say you need to fish in a group, or that almost every fishing report seems to have replies that imply fish are being snagged ect. is ludicrous! Sure there are a few bad apples, but the majority(including the newbies/uneducated) are there to A.catch fish and B. enjoy their day. The day you have out there is what YOU make it, regardless of what's around you.

Tired of the negative comments, but perhaps it's just me.
must be hard to catch fish with your eyes closed ;D ;D ;D

·
Registered
69 Posts
Last time I was at the Vedder I made friends with a few guys and we were talking then this guy walks up with his gf goes in bouncing between us floaters. We dealt with it without directly confronting him.Instead we made him feel like a total idiot rookie in front of his gf with some intelligent words between us all laughing next thing we knew problem solved out came the float and well the rest of the day was great :thumbup:

·
Registered
3,812 Posts
It would be nice if this thread remained civil. imfishing is remarking on one angler's experiences and doesn't seem to be looking for confrontation. He laments the negativity he sees on the site, and 20 minutes after he posts it the first negative post shows up. The mods will leave this topic alone, as long as it doesn't immediately go south. Thanks. :peace:

·
Registered
911 Posts
I don't think many of us do actually looking for it. You have to ask yourself in the past twenty years fishing the vedder I bet the problems have been in the past 10 years. Many of us used to enjoy standing on top of the KW bridge and watch the fish move through. Damn near Yarrow tradition actually.
I think the bulk of negative responses members have posted is just venting on the frustrations of seeing this fine water just being continusly being abused by unethical methods, and the lack of response from DFO in addressing this matter before it helps in destroying another stressed run of fish.
That being said there are still some sections where you can hide on the water and work a piece of water by your self. Those wanting to learn new techs and are willing to learn, I'll gladly pound some water with you.
Cheers
Crazy D

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
Thanks IMFISHING! for briefing us on your personal view on the matter, greatly appreciated...everyone to their own...but I much rather fish by myself or with 1 buddy..the buddy system works best for me....2 people fishing one remote run.....ah what a day those are....

If you want to swing some flies together in October on the ved just lemme know! :thumbup:

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Of course I am not blind to what goes on out there.. but I will say this(and I don't assume anyone has to agree with me): The majority of even those showing poor ethics do so because of lack of knowledge. IMO, when they are confronted with a judgemental attitude they react accordingly. When they are aproached from a perspective of respect they often are interested in learning about the BEST way to fish the river.

Of course we know there are a couple places like the KWB and limit hole that people know exactly what they are doing, and are best left to themselves(after a quick call to RAPP...) and just MAYBE one day we'll see some real enforcement there.

I guess my point is that for every "bad apple" out there there are a BUNCH of like minded anglers enjoying the river the way it ought. It seems as though the negative gets far more press than all the positive lately and I think it's a shame as it's such a beautiful place with some great fishing.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I agree that there are some snaggers out there, but I have only seen it a couple of times. Maybe it's the people and places that I fish, but I find the vedder to be a great river to fish and enjoy. It has the most amount of species in at the same time, lots of access and close to Vancouver. Pretty nice all around.

·
Registered
298 Posts
I have yet to have an argument on the vedder or feel I was mistreated by a fellow angler. The vedder is a pretty large body of water and I always find some water to enjoy in peace and quiet if thats what Im looking for. I have made friends with most anglers I happen to fish a run with and at the end of the day I think most of the poor practices and over crowding at times in certain spots is due to the huge population growth the lower mainland and entire province of BC has seen in the last 20 years. There will always be those that abuse our resources. This is where DFO is supposed to step in. If there is one truth worth whining about in all the negative posts about the vedder I think that DFO and MOE are it. More specifically, the lack of funds/resources available to them to properly do their work is in my opinion the heart of the problem.

So yes I agree there needs to be more enforcement out on the water, particularly the chedder. Having said that the issue seems to be overstated on this forum because most of us fishing out there are genuinely decent folks who share a passion for the SPORT(rather than the kill :naughty:), and hope to preserve it for years to come. :peace:

·
Registered
517 Posts
imfishing said:
Of course I am not blind to what goes on out there.. but I will say this(and I don't assume anyone has to agree with me): The majority of even those showing poor ethics do so because of lack of knowledge. IMO, when they are confronted with a judgemental attitude they react accordingly. When they are aproached from a perspective of respect they often are interested in learning about the BEST way to fish the river.

Of course we know there are a couple places like the KWB and limit hole that people know exactly what they are doing, and are best left to themselves(after a quick call to RAPP...) and just MAYBE one day we'll see some real enforcement there.

I guess my point is that for every "bad apple" out there there are a BUNCH of like minded anglers enjoying the river the way it ought. It seems as though the negative gets far more press than all the positive lately and I think it's a shame as it's such a beautiful place with some great fishing.
hey imfishing, I believe there is a reason why you see so many complains in here. the reason is that in this forum most people try to have an ethical approach to fishing which of course brings out a criticism towards the many people out there who can't care less about ethics. Having said that, I agree with you that a negative attitude doesn't get us anywhere better, and rather it makes growing a negative feeling which most likely is taken with us to the river. And I think his is one of the reasons why people at the river argue more ad more these days, instead of bonding and have fun together. my thought. :beerchug:

G

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.