BC Fishing Reports banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was flyfishing yesterday at un-named local river where access is difficult. We got there at first ight and enjoyed many hook ups on the fly with the pinks in the first pool above the tidal water. After about two hours with the bite really slowing down and as we were just planning to go further up the river for a hike, the first of 5 guys from Oregon comes through the bush. We say hello and keep the conversation friendly and topical. He stops in the pool we were just fishing and begins to fish. We ventured out on the hike up the river to look at the pools enjoy the fantastic scenery and see all the bear sign, wildlife and fish.

As we were walking back down we find all five of these gentlemen flyfishin on the pinks in water that was no more than a foot deep and the fish were clearly sitting on redds, digging and spawning. They were literally sitting right on top of the fish and casting out maybe ten feet past the end of the rod.

I let them know that they were fishing on spawning fish and that there were many pools available for fishing. They said that this was the best action they could get. Two of them looked to be accomplished fly fishers and the other three had most of the fancy geat but clearly had not tossed the fly too many times So here's my questions...

A. Should I have been more vocal and let them know how wrong their actions were?

B. Is the fishing of fish on redds an American trait? I see many videos on U-Tube of this same behaviour, but have not witnessed it more than a few times by locals on our rivers.

C. As we walked back down the river we found 10 other anglers who were only fishing in pools. All other anglers were Canadian. Should I have rallied the troops and sent the unwelcome poachers packing for their own country? (OK this one is a bit over the top, but dammit, it just wasn't right)

·
Registered
306 Posts
I know it's frustrating to see people targeting those fish,, it seems to happen alot on the mamquam too! I don't think it has anything to do with Americans in general. It's just people who don't have the common sense to realize they are actually damaging the fishery.. Also how much fun can it be fighting an old dirty pink anyway???

·
Registered
281 Posts
You are way out of line. Obvuiously it's not considered sport to pluck fish from the reds, but linking an entire country to 5 people you saw doing it one time is a little much don't you think? Look at the Fraser threads to get an idea of how many idiots there are living north of the 49th. Ignorant anglers are not specific to one area. They come with the territory, and in my opinion are becoming an epidemic.

·
Registered
513 Posts
Well Said troutchaser

It seams that the lack of ethics and respect for our sport are increasing exponentially. And unfortunately it is happening in all facets of the sport we all enjoy. I really wish everyone would just stop for a minute take a deep breath and think about what they are doing and how it may effect others,the fish and the environment we all enjoy.

The situation that finaddict saw was no different then what we see being done by locals on the Vedder or Chehalis on a regular bases. The lack of respect for the sport and fish has gotten much worse over the last few years and is unfortunately becoming an epidemic.

I am not sure what we can do to improve the situation but I think we all must do what we can to educate those that are willing to learn and report those that are not,regardless of what side of the border you call home.

Just one mans opinion

Centerpin

·
Registered
956 Posts
finaddict, I am not certain what facts you are using to come to this highly educated summation of your newly found facts, but it seems to me that you are out in no mans land.

Not sure why you tend to think that just because some "Americans" were standing on redds that this must be the norm in the USA. So, with your reasoning, would it be safe to say (by your reasoning) that Canadians as a whole don't know any other way to fish than the methods they learn at Limit Hole? By using your rationale it must be true, I have seen them do it myself. Wow, that is sad to think that Canadians have only one method of fishing that they can call true to form. The good old, long leader, bouncing betty flossing.

Obviously my statement is a little tongue in cheek, but I think you can see what I am getting at. You can't bundle every single Nation, as you tend to do quite often, into one lump conclusion. In every society there are those who contribute and those that hinder. To say that a bad seed is the staple of all, is just an uneducated, uninformed way of saying you don't understand and don't want to try to figure out how to help make the situation better.

Sincerely

The American :)

·
Retired staff
6,684 Posts
Well, those replies just about sum it up.

• Fishing on redds is bad.
  • Doesn't matter where you come from, there are people who fish redds or disrespect the resource in other ways.

I'll just add...

Moderating can be easy. Sometimes the posts we as members make can make us look good, while at other times our posts can result in members possibly getting a 'poor impression' of us.

• In those instances when a 'poor impression' is accurate, then it's deserved.
  • In those instances where a 'misunderstanding' may have occurred, the deterrent from making similar statements in the future, is still the 'poor impression' that likely results regardless.

I guess sometimes the loss of respect that might go along with such impressions can be worse than a warning?

This one doesn't need to continue, all points that have any pertinence to fishing, and then some, have been made...

rib

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.