BC Fishing Reports banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

· Registered
1,165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was in the shop today and got to browse threw the cataloge and these rods sure look nice. Apparently what the company did was copy the entire sage line right down to the colour. They also have a package coming out for around $200 that includes fly rod(copy of sage z-axis), fly reel( exact copy of the sv series), two fly lines, chest pack, leaders, leader loops, fly box and flies and a case. In total you get 19 pieces.Coming this spring

They also have a spey rod(4 piece) that comes in a metal case that looks like a big brief case and it even has a cut out spot for your reel to fit inside. Even the latches on the case are a combo lock.

And they even have drift rods and sturgeon rods. Their sturgeon rods are a copy of the technium and when yopu cover the names it is very hard to tell the difference except when you look at the price as theirs is around $80
There will only be a handful of shops that will carry them. Thier rods are all lifetime warrenty. I believe the warehouse is in Burnaby so shipping is cheap.

· Registered
691 Posts
Thanks for the heads up

But for myself I know the world will always be full of knock-offs.

A few years ago everyone was buying Northface jackets for next to nothing, then found out they were falling apart and the stitches all pulled, Now guys are bringing over Prada, and LV purses, but they've all got little flaws. I can remember buying knock-off cologne. So why shouldn't the fishing inductry hav some too.

I know last year when I cast a few of their rods they weren't anything special, but with some real loose copyright laws over in the orient, I'm sure they are re-tooling they're designs. Who knows maybe this year I'll check a couple out and they'll blow me away, but so far they just seem like a lower end know-off.

· Banned
2,854 Posts
I agree Jamie I looked at those rods at A&N and didnt think too much of them. for quality rods i rather stick to names I know better and that i know make good products. you get what you pay for

· Registered
5,163 Posts
For a company to try and make money from someone elses originality is not right, IMO, if infact that is what they are doing! I personally would not support a company, with those kind of business ethics! :2cents: There are lots of inexpensive rods on the market from repitable companies like, Ehco and TFO, who both have high quality rods for reasonable prices and are not knock offs! :2cents:

:cheers: Rick

· Registered
1,989 Posts
I checked out a few admundson drift rods first the color was HORRID! Second the 10'6 drift rod was to heavy for my liking! Line wt was 12-20lbs Not biting this new company thats for sure!

CK

· Banned
2,854 Posts
this company sounds like a second rate knock off company trying to get money for someone elses reaserch rather than doing their own and coming up with something new or at least a bit different. ok well the colours they have arent "exactly" the same as Sage but close and not in a good way they are way to flashy and like CK said are a little heavy for what you would expect for the wt ratings. I wont be buying one thats for sure even if they have a lifetime warranty.

"you could put a peice of crap in a box, then slap a warranty on it. would that make you comfortable? or you can get something that you know is high quality with the same warranty and have that much more enjoyment" lightly quoted from the movie Tommyboy ;D

HOOK

· Registered
3,796 Posts
I have looked at the rods quite closely and am favourably impressed. I don't consider them a knock-off, as I know some of the personnel who were involved in designing the Wind Warrior series (which includes their 2 handers). This is a company based in Burnaby, so among other advantages, warranty issues will be handled much faster. I am looking seriously at the 6 wt switch rod. I love the gloss dark olive colour and the finish of the rod is immaculate. An 11 foot, IM 9 rod with a very nice action (fast), and price under $300; what's not to like. Oh yeah, a one year unconditional warranty and then for the life of the owner, replacement is $25 per section, with a Burnaby based company (days not weeks for replacement).

· Registered
1,484 Posts
Amundson does indeed have a Canadian office but they've been around for 15 years. They didn't establish a Canadian office until 2006. Their manufacturing plant is in China. This means you could wait weeks, not days for replacement parts.

Just reading a couple of threads on other sites, apparently there is a huge difference between models of last year and this year with this years models being better.

· Registered
3,796 Posts
Ooops. My bad. You have it 1/2 right Warrior. They have much more than an "office" in Burnaby. They carry their entire Canadian inventory there and the replacement is indeed days not weeks. I have actually looked quite closely at this and made a few more calls today. Amundson Canada is the Burnaby company, but yes like Sage, St. Croix, Rainshadow and many others, they do manufacture in China.

· Registered
1,165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I took a look at the new rod at the shop the other day and they are indeed alot nicer then the older ones and would not think twice about purchasing one. I also looked at their package deals and for $199 it just can not be beat. You can go into a shop, buy one of these packages and go right out and fish. There reels are identical to the redington sv series fly reels.

· Registered
1,484 Posts
Prof,

I missed the fact they had a warehouse in Burnaby as well. That's good to hear! I've been googling them for an hour or so now and from all accounts they're a very dependable company who stand behind their product, which is rare to find nowdays. I'm going to have to check them out soon for my 8wt.

Flyguy,

It's funny that you mention their reels are similar to the Redington SV as I was looking at the SV as an alternative to my WalMart reel but I need to support the Canadian businessman :thumbup:

· Registered
1,165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Redington is American. Both reels are actually made in the same plant and that is why they are almost the same. The Amundson reel will be alot cheaper I just do not know the exact price.

· Registered
1,484 Posts
The Trend II reel (which is similar to the Redington SV) is listed for $85 US on eBay, which is only $10-15 cheaper than the SV. When you factor in the tax, duty, etc, the Trend II is cheaper overall.

When purchasing one of their kits, the reel comes with an extra spool as well.

· Registered
1,165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
yes I believe extra spool, floating line, sinking line, leader, tippet, fly box with flies, rod case, chest pack. It is a pretty good deal.

· Registered
318 Posts
i checked them out at riverside on sat. hell of a deal.any weight/ length of rod plus 2 lines for 200$ and the reel is not too bad.i think i found my next 5 wt.i dont care if its a knockoff.if it lasts a couple years its o.k.my golf clubs are clones and theyre fantastic.for $200 i can buy half a brand name rod.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.