BC Fishing Reports banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone give a little insight into the appropriate amount of weight for front and back anchors for my new 12' tub? I'll be doing most of my fishing on the Merritt - Kamloops area lakes.
Thanks
PaulE

·
Registered
5,453 Posts
Hey PaulE ;D,

When I had my 11 foot fly fisher, I used 2, 10 pound, round downrigger balls and the worked great. They sink in the mud well and you don't move once they are down! There are also the lead pyramid anchors and they sink well into the mud and if you anchor in a place that has less mud, the four corners of the pyramid anchor will grab better. As far as how heavey they should be, I would say 2 lead, 10-12 pounders should work. If you have several people in the boat you might want a little heavier. :thumbup:

·
Registered
550 Posts
Hi PaulE, a buddy I fish with uses 15lb pucks on his 12' and has no problems. Most of the lakes have a soft marl bottom so it usually sinks in pretty good.Hope that helps

Edit: Bergler beat me to it :thumbup:

:beerchug:

-RC

·
Registered
513 Posts
Hey PaulE

I found on a standard 15" transom boat that ten pounds front and back seamed fine. My new boat has a 20" transom and fairly high sides and is more susceptible to the wind so I have had to go up 15 lb anchors. I have tried the mushroom shaped 10 pounders but found that they drag quite easy. The downrigger balls that Berg was mentioning work good.

Centerpin 8)

·
Registered
3,812 Posts
I read that the rule of thumb is each anchor should weigh one pound for each foot of boat. That said, I have an 11 footer and like bergler, I use a ten pound downrigger ball at each end and stay put in any wind.

·
Registered
260 Posts
I use a 10lb and 4lb as it was all they had at the time of purchase. I haven't bothered changing, I may though as it doesn't quite do the trick with my boat (Power Drifter). If you increase the angle from the anchor and the boat by dropping the anchor and then moving forward about 125% from where you want to be, drop the other anchor and move back to where you want to be and pull the ropes tight. If this isn't clear this may help, you do not want your anchor ropes vertical.

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
I have a suspicion that the amount of anchor rope that you have out also has something to do with how much weight you need to stay anchored in one spot. When I had my 8' pram, I noticed that while in deep water chironamid fishing, sometimes I would get blown around with 8lb cannon balls at either end of my boat. In shallow water, I would be able to hold my position even with a stiff breeze. Maybe this has something to do with the amount of slack in deep water and the boat building momentum in the breeze to dislodge the anchors? I don't know...just seemed to be the case with me anyway.

For the 12' that I got from Bergler, I currently have 10lb cannon balls right now, but I'll probably change those out to either 12lb or 15 lb mushrooms before my first trip out at the end of this month.

Oh yeah...you can never have too much anchor rope. ;D good luck!

·
Registered
100 Posts
For anchoring on a lake, 12lb or 15 lb mushrooms anchor for sure. Take a stern anchor as well. Anchoring next to a shallow spot on the lake, or when you see a weed patch in the middle of the lake, and anchoring on top of it, can be very productive. When you are still fishing, you don’t want the boat to swing on the hook.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.