BC Fishing Reports banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
670 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I posted a picture somewhere and seemed to get a few e-mails regarding it.

so I figured I should show some pics to make it more clear.

Wire size will differ as to what is available, I'm using Stainless welding rod, but it's a little thick.
I've used 18 and 20gauge in the past with better results, making it easier to work with.

basic tools, and a small torch to heat the wire and poke the holes.

I bend the end of the wire into a U shape making sure it the same width as the holes I made.
then insert the long end into the front hole, letting the shot end come threw the back hole.

with needle nose pliers, hold the U shape to the anchovy head, then bend the long end down towards the back.
then push the short end forward with the pliers, after both bends, I squeeze them tight with large pliers to make it solid.

thread the anchovy on the wire, threw the collar behind the gill plate, keeping it just under the skin along the lateral line of the anchovy.

I like to give it a tight bend, but its personal preference.
I try to make the bend at the half way point.

don't forget the toothpick

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
Hi Canso,

I've been doing the same thing. It works great!!!

With the new Anchovy Heads you don't need to bend your bait ...... keep it perfectly straight. The tab (shown in you 8th and last picture) has been added on that head to provide you with the perfect roll at a speed of 2 to 2.4

GOFISH 8)

·
Banned
228 Posts
What is the advantage to using the wire? Basically so you can curve the bait & or to make bait look more firmer thus better presention ??? Also do you put bait fish in salt to dry out or do you use thawed bait that came out of freezer? Would wire work on the BAIT TRIX [rubber bait fish] ?

·
Registered
63 Posts
Some of the Baitrix already has something in it so that you can shape it and it will keep the shape.
I have some.

Then there are Scented Baitrix. I got some of them too, but they don't have the wire.

None of them have caught a fish for me...

·
Registered
670 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I put the bait in a heavy brine. Store it in the cooler or add ice cubes while in the boat.
when I get home I throw the container in the freezer for next time. seems to hold up well.

before I started using wire, I would jam toothpicks in the back to help hold shape.
I like to see the bait rotating with the tail and head as the axis, so the body is making the spiral.

not sure about the voltage part.

It reminds me of the old “Charlie White lure” but made out of real bait instead.

Do you guy’s remember the Charlie White videos from the early 80’s.????

·
Banned
228 Posts
Canso "Ya" I remember the guy...Charlie White ... I think he also wrote a book "How to catch Salmon" [if my memory serves me well] Do you or anyone remember Ted Peck? I think he had a son die in rapids on the North Shore. He was a great person & sport fisherman. His saying was "tight lines" or something like that... Also I remember him telling people to FLAG A SNAG... People could get free warning flags with a spike rod so if boaters came across a snag or deadhead or floating log [boating hazards] the boat would nail the spike rod into the HAZZARD then other boaters could see it more easily!!! Great weather this weekend... God bless happy & safe boating. :)

·
Registered
21 Posts
The wire works great, this way you dont have to hook the trebel hook into the anchovie , but leave it sitting just back of the tail , some times if it is hooked into soft bait without the wire,it will fold the anchovie in the middle which ruins the action of the bait

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.