BC Fishing Reports banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
956 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Generally, I run cut plug herring, but am going to give anchovies a whirl.

How do you chovy guys run them?

I was advised to buy some helmets, but a far as the hooks go...Just the same as cut plug herring? With herring, I run a 4/0 and 3/0 and about a 5' 25# leader.

If some of you wouldn't mind educating a rookie, I'd appreciate a tip.

Thrasher

·
Registered
17 Posts
I run a 6 foot leader and either 2 4/0 owner singles, or a treble followed by a 3 or 4/0 single. If you are stuck using small anchovies (mostly all that was available this year) a light treble allows you to get the right bend. I find the single has too long of a shank for smaller bait.

It sounds like you run a flasher with your cut plug herring (5 foot leader?). I will have to try that as I motor mooch when cut-plugging and do not use flashers.

·
Registered
956 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I don't run treble hooks...

No flasher with my cut plug. Do you use flasher with chovies?

Do you pin a toothpick in the hole to keep the bend? I was also told to NOT put the hooks into the chovy?

·
Registered
151 Posts
i have tried all sorts of different set ups over the years and i am happiest with the Prot-troll e-chip head. It's super easy to rig and has a great action. i can't give you hard statistics but my feeling is that i have done best with this set up by at least double compared to any other head i tried.

Here is a link to the site with the info. ( i have no affilitation with any tackle or other fish related business)

http://www.protroll.com/products/bait-holders/rotochip5b/

·
Registered
17 Posts
I don't run treble hooks...

No flasher with my cut plug. Do you use flasher with chovies?

Do you pin a toothpick in the hole to keep the bend? I was also told to NOT put the hooks into the chovy?
You have to put the hook in the anchovy to get the bend. I run flashers except late in the year when the fish get "flasher shy".

If you do not use flashers (I do not either for cut plug) why do you have a five foot leader? (from the weight)?

·
Registered
17 Posts
You have to put the hook in the anchovy to get the bend. I run flashers except late in the year when the fish get "flasher shy".

If you do not use flashers (I do not either for cut plug) why do you have a five foot leader? (from the weight)?
You have to pin a toothpick in the teaser head "line" hole so that tension does not increase the bend of your bait. New teaser heads also have a red pin to hold the anchovy in place (can use a toothpick) but the toothpick goes in the back of the teaser head (to hold the line).

·
Registered
956 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

I run them off my downrigger, not a mooching weight.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I do the same thing but put them back at least 20 feet. For my flashers I run 15-20 feet behind the cannonballs.

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
The instructions that come with Rhys Davis Anchovy heads are very good. Follow them and you will be successful - you will have to bump your speed up from cut plug speed.

·
Registered
3,936 Posts
The instructions that come with Rhys Davis Anchovy heads are very good. Follow them and you will be successful - you will have to bump your speed up from cut plug speed.
Yup!!! And make sure you brine em' or they'll get torn apart pretty quickly.....without a fish biting.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Thrasher, here is a pic.(hope it works) of a few of mine rigged up ready for the anchovie,
my few tips would be,
#1 rig it with the wire to get a PERFECT roll every time,wire goes down inside of anchovie,
#2 salt them down with some creamo ,(I've got a buddy that uses formaldahide)sp? tough on the hands/fingers though...
#3 I rig tandem hooks as a sliding setup, with stinger in or out of anchovie(wire gives it the perfect bend)
#4 when behind a flasher my leader length seldom, if ever, is less than 6ft with bait, I've gone up to 8-10ft up in Nootka fishing for springs...
#5 have another prerigged anchovie ready to go,when the bite comes on the faster you can get the lines back in the water the better(this really works up in Nootka), I've had the fish that I've just caught still in the net/hooks in mouth,sent down 2 lines/chovies and hit another rite away
this works for me.....HardyBoy44(aka SpringFever552):cheers::peace:

DSC06022.JPG

·
Registered
956 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
What kind of wire is that and how do you get the wire rigged?

·
Registered
572 Posts
I run anchovy rigs almost 95% of my fishing.

Some may disagree with my statement but I don't think fish are all that smart.

Heres what I do works for me others may disagree.

I use Trilene Big Game 50# for leaders, great stuff, handles abrasion.
Hooks are Gamikatsu 4/0 barbless.
I tie a tadem rig about 2" apart.
I run a leader about 42 inches.
Don't mess with tooth picks, just figure where the hook will haul the anchovy roughly straight and hook it in.
Small anchovy work good and the 4/0 hooks cover the bait, fish bites, lots of hook coverage.
If you think roll, wire and tooth picks are important, put an anchovy in backwards and see how well it works.
I find the glow heads work well and the blue chrome, but that may be here because of our shallow depth.
I usually run a Gibbs #1 flasher roughly 8" or if the bite is on. no flasher...

Bret

·
Registered
157 Posts
DSC06024.JPG DSC06026.JPG DSC06028.JPG DSC06025.JPG DSC06029.JPG the rolls of stainless wire I got from my father(in the military) but I'm thinking you could pick it up from HomeDepot?..
1- I drill two small holes in the chovie-holder,
2- bend a "square" J in one end of precut length of wire,
3- poke wire through predrilled holes and then bend over the wire ends,
when finished you want the wire on the inside of holder so it will go down inside of anchovie..once you do it it's actually quite simple

·
Registered
708 Posts
What kind of wire is that and how do you get the wire rigged?
Oki Tackle started offering precut wire packs last year and are available to most tackle shops in BC. I forgot to check the OKI tackle "ACL" heads on the weekend but the new this past year Rhys Davis "Bulletroll" heads come with hole molded in to the head. A step up from the traditional Anchovy heads they have offered for years. Once agian this past week end Tom Davis (owner of Rhys Davis) stated that his best fishing heads are the "Bulletroll" heads.
Also you can get the red pins either a fluorescent red or glow to go along with the blood red color.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts