BC Fishing Reports banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Retired staff
6,673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Don't know if any of you have heard about this yet, but another derailment occured. This time in the Thompson river canyon near lytton...Appearently a rock slide blocked off the tracks and a train carrying lumber derailed as it couldn't stop in time. Having said that, according to the Vancouver Sun, 600 litres of deisel fuel was spilled, AND 400 litres of hydrolic fluid escaped. I haven't checked to see if I could find any pictures online yet, but one of the pictures I saw made it obvious that these leaks made their way to the river. Now this is below sections of the river where returning summer run adults are holding so that's fortunate, as is the fact that the conductor, and his assistant were OK , but there must be some semblance of accountability here. Act of god or not, didn't CN used to do surveys of the tracks before trains went through? Despite the fact that most of the returning summer run steelhead were likely above this slide, once again CN Rail is responsible for another accident that may have long term effects ecologically on a valuable waterway in our province...The sun is also quoted as saying that CN Rail claims the leaks were "contained in the immediate area"...how can they contain a spill like that with a river raging below it? I find it hard to believe no release of deisel or hydrolic fluid occured with that kind of current to mix it around...

· Registered
89 Posts
Look, if CN had to actually do a better job of monitoring track conditions and cleanup after themselves, how could they pay their hardwoking & dedicated CEO 56 million or so in compensation for doing such a great job. It would be interesting to see the documented difference in safety since the takeover from BC Rail. I certainly don't remember BC Rail killing any rivers like say, oh I know, the Cheakamus!!!! Guess it's time to move on to killing the Thompson, OK thats my rant against corporations...
...profits first, enviroment second

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.