BC Fishing Reports banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
2,348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

My anual brat (small hatchery steelhead) chase will commence starting on boxing day and ending Jan 4th. I am heading down to continue my Washington explorations.

I am considering spending my time in 3 diferent areas.

1) Stay close to home and hitting the Skagit and tribs (for bullies as well as brats), the Stillaguamish, the Skykomish and the Yakima (for white fish and bows) this one is interesting to me because it will alllow me to do more fly fishing and pursue several species instead of just Steel.

2) Head down to the OP and fish the Hoh, Queets, Bogachiel and others for steelies. This option appeals to me because I love the Olympic Peninsula and the scenery down there is stunning

3) Head to south west washington and hit the Cowlitz, Lewis, Elochoman, Greys etc. This option appeals to me because I have yet to explore the area and it sounds like there are 6-7 good steelie systems that are relatively close to one another.

Which are do you think I should choose? I will be fishing from the bank with a 6wt an 8wt and my trusty old 3106 gear rod.
Any feedback much appreciated.

Also if anyone else will be down there let me know we should hook up for a brew and to throw some line.

Thanks again,

Pat

· Registered
407 Posts
Gee I wish I had that kind of decision to make! At home here it is snowing and a balmy -15 degrees celsius. Have big fun, I think you can't really lose which ever way choose. :cheers:

· Registered
2,348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Billy,

I agree you can't go wrong any time you are exploring new water on a fishing road trip. They also have some really good micro-brews down in Wa. that I will be enjoying!

Tight Lines Man! :beerchug:

· Registered
707 Posts
after spending a day last week before the snow on the Quinault, with out a doubt the Oly pen. Too many different rivers and too many steelhead. Skaigt is nice, the Cowlitz, Lewis etc, are just not isolated enough for me. A vote for the Oly pen for sure. Can't wait to be back there in Jan. also if the water is back in shape for the Queets or the Quinault then.

· Registered
707 Posts
I was on the tribal section. Fishing was pretty decent with close to 30 winter runs hooked in about 5 hours of fishing and some were decent size , pushing 12-14lbs. I have never fished the Hoko or Pshyt rivers and I asked my buddies down there and they have never bothered either.

· Registered
2,348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Sounds like fun on the Quinault, I will let you know how those little rivers treat me if I make it to them. I really just want an excuse to check out that area of the Peninsula as I have heard it is really cool.

Thanks for all the help

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.