BC Fishing Reports banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Banned
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The price of fuel is so costly... I forget who it was but a recent post [I think it was Canso] said they tried to find where the fish were... at end of day $95 spent on fuel... then he typed [OUCH] "ya" I'd say ouch too... For many boaters $95 is cheap for the day... one boater told me it costs him $100 per hr [25 ft boat twin Yamaha 115hp or some set-up like that... that's cruising for 1 hr] ---- Some things that one can do to save fuel are: Do jigging or still fishing [I put a herring on a bar rig with 2 hooks & got a fish on for 30secs basically just screamed the line out & I tightened drag a touch & line broke at knot...]---- Or one can use their aux motor--- sometimes a hassle as too much wind or currents... maybe OK if "arms " or "braced" to main motor so when using aux or kicker motor one can still steer at wheel. ----- troll down-wind or with following seas so we can keep our rpms at a min. ----- ALSO if you have alot of AIR MILES saved up you can trade or cash them in for fuel!!! My dad for 8000 air mile pts got aprox $960 yes that's NINE HUNDRED & SIXTY DOLLARS worth of $20 certificates. [SHELL GAS & a few other stations...] It took like 8 days & we had them in the mail!!! Also check out GasBuddy.com & see where the cheapest gas is selling in your area... alot of times saving up to 10 or more cents a litre so it can be a good savings.... Also having a 4 stroke or as some say E-tec 's new technology one can troll on less fuel... On our 4 stroke Yamaha we get 25-30 % fuel savings... BUT THE AIR MILES FOR GAS is a great deal!!!

·
Registered
323 Posts
I run a 18 foot aluminum Lund with a two stroke 115hp motor. Gas prices hurt. But it's not as bad as when i ran a boston whaler :)

Locally i think gas prices being high is the reason why you see so many boaters fishing bell bouy and the capilano.

The boat costs around $150 to fill. What i've been doing to save some money is cruising at around 3000rpm rather than 4000rpm. The difference is only 5 mph in terms of speed. When trolling i always use my 5hp. Can run all day onless than $10 :)

·
Banned
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Sandhead That's what I call a smart decision!!! Troll all day on less than $10 ... that's going back to the 1970's costs for fuel. I remember thinking gas was getting too high when it was 22 cents a litre...[early 80's] Well those were the days wish we could have back. :cheers:

·
Banned
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
teucer Well I can't beat that one...nobody can find a better solution then that...[PLUS YOU CATCH SALMON...NO MOTOR NOISE TO SPOOK FISH...] Even some freighters [some] run their engines but have sails to help with power...[modern ships] :cheers:

·
Registered
29 Posts
We owned a 21 foot Northwest about 15 years ago. While sailing back to Point Atkinson from Silva Bay (at 5.5 knots) we nailed 13 coho on one rod. Green and white hootchie. After that year the coho quickly vanished.

·
Registered
280 Posts
I run a 90 4 stroke Yamaha and my big gas expense for the day is getting to the water.
The truck uses more to get me to the ramp than the boat uses all day.
The 90 uses about as much fuel as my old 25 hp Mariner 2 stroke went through.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Boat really stands for Bring On Another Thousand. If the price of fuel is bringing you down, sell you boat and fish the rivers. Why go to the ocean and chase immature fish when you can get physical excercise and chase mature fish. Yes, gas prices are high, but make the best with what you have. We have some of the best fishing in the world right here. NOT in the ocean. You don't have to break the bank filling your tanks. Find a new fishing hole. It's cheaper and way more fun.

johnny.

·
Banned
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
chumsalot Point well taken...yes there is expense to owning a boat... & you can have fun fishing from the shores... or own a car-topper with a 4hp motor... but alot of times we do not use the boat for fishing but a slow cruise in the Fraser R by Delta/Ladner... or just anchor in a nice spot & use the boat like a sun-deck socialize play crib sun-tan... don't use much gas anchored... plus cheaper than going to Hawaii !!!

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
Crude is less than $100/barrel for the first time in months and we're paying $1.38/L on the Island. The last time oil was this price...we were paying $.92 cents/L.

I see a problem here.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Arimaboater, True, there is no better sundeck than the aft of a boat. It always finds sun no matter where you are.
Firstlight, I live on Vancouver Island. I take it for granted that on any given day I can find a river and be the only one there. Not so easy on the Lower Mainland. I forgot to mention that.

cheers,

Johnny.

·
Banned
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
chumsalot [hi] Like today with with the sunny weather we launched out into the Fraser R [Richmond] & with a tide change & strong NW winds the river was rather wild looking... River swells white caps so we just went along WESTHAM IS [spelling correct?] then anchored... 3 hrs just taking in the sun radio conversation watching so so many other boats about going by... including small sailboats kayaks... [ but in channel there was this big snag "right in the middle of the river" at 45 degrees about 8 in out of the water aprox 14 in dia. With the setting sun & a boater going westbound [glare on water] it could add up to a very dangerous situation... always have to put safety first when boating of fishing on the shore. [ watch out for those hungry black bears] :peace:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.