BC Fishing Reports banner
17K views 50 replies 21 participants last post by  BCI 
#1 ·
For quite a while now I blame my late night owlness @ targeting the 11:30 CHEK station for Gary Coopers NICE FISH
Now its an American broadcast of Night Line............WTF!!!!!!!!
Guess I'll have 2 settle for the weekend day broadcast

For twenty years I have learned & been entertained watching NICE FISH, even if its a re-run
When its off season I always cherish watching NICE FISH brings me back from the past fishing season & makes me look forward to the season to come
Way better than Bob Izumi's bass fishing on the east coast 8)

#2 ·
Well at least you get Nice Fish on cable. We don't where I live. We used to and at a decent hour. Now I have to pay extra to watch it on WFN and even then it's hit and miss depending on the time of year. I am also disappointed that Sportsfishing BC has lost carriers. Now it's only available on Sportsnet Pacific at 7:30 am on Sunsays. Two great local shows and decent hosts compared to Cronzy, Izumi, Labigban, Wray, and the rest of the hosts of Canadian shows. Once again, BC gets screwed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#3 · (Edited)
Two great local shows and decent hosts compared to Cronzy, Izumi, Labigban, Wray, and the rest of the hosts of Canadian shows. Once again, BC gets screwed.
Awwww.....come on BGM......there is NOTHING like watching Cronzy salmon fishing on the West Coast. :p ;) I think he brings way more to West Coast fishing than Gary or Mark. Bobby, Henry and Italo are right in there with their adaptation of top water crappie action to targetting top water halibut. ::)

#4 ·
Good one PIPPEN ----lol right we 2 watched bc sport fishing every weekend morning in are house we just think mark dose it right, another 30 min would be nice 2------ coop and the rest don't do much for us. But coop dose sponsor another show that is run quite nice and shows how to tie flys.

just my 2 cents

#5 ·
choked as well

Its hard to say how well Coopers show was doing for CHEK but my only complaint was that it was on so late. I used to love the old episodes of him fishing in the Straight or Howe sound. Priceless. How could they cancel that show? Shameful. Is it because the rights were bought by WFN? Seems lame. Maybe we should start our own show. I have a small HD camera...anyone think they would make a good host?

#12 ·
Well I could host , what's the criteria as I do not puff,---lol--- and I can do with out the hang over----We would just have to get the fish to cooperate. Hell we live in the most beautiful ---prov---in Canada, and the best/ greatest fishing----- it all comes down to having a good captain.

(----If you film it they will watch----:>---)We may need some makeup to match coopers cheeks---LMAO---)

#13 ·
I use the old pvr and watch it when I can. Sometimes I sit down and watch 2 or 3 in a row. A lot of crap on WFN but I still think it is worth it. Sure makes me hate bass. On a side note...I just found a couple of my old Gary Cooper VHS tapes that were filmed in 1989.

#14 ·
Stopped watching Gary Cooper after last year, lost all respect for the man, he doesn't practice conservation the way he preaches it. He was up fishing at Winter Harbor at one of the resort lodge's I will not name. He was promoting this lodge and I strongly disagree with what they were doing up there, Anchor chumming all the big Hali's, a crime really, we watched them bring in 3-4 large 100+ LB Hali's every day and many more well over 50. At that rate there will be no breeding stock, or a very short supply of them. Just my 2 cent's

#15 ·
I believe he has replied to correspondance regarding this episode on another forum. Not sure which one but I would think if you have concerns he would welcome an email. The TV programs are edited in ways that sometimes draw into question what actually happens. Those Hali shows draw a lot of heat for sure!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#16 ·
I just couldn't believe that he would promote a business that is basically pillaging a public resource like that. I was totally disgusted, and he had his grandson there with him, taping the show, nice lesson he's teaching him. Haven't watched a single one of his episodes since

G
#19 ·
Coopers shaw

Ha, ha LoL I thought I was the only one who knew what Gary was up to, having a few puffs and being PIE EYED was normal. Even Red Fisher was always saying he wasn't smoking the funny stuff, but that jug sure got passed around alot. If I could make my living sport fishing I'd have a few puffs too, to make it that much better, but I'd keep the bloppers in the show

#21 ·
getting a few things straight.

First I don't drink or smoke. If I smoke I suffer from Panic attacks and High anxiety.
I will have a few beer. However I am usually flirting with Atrial Fib ( irregular heartbeats). I take my time in front of the camera too seriously to be any other way but myself. Being high on the outdoors and fishing.

Regarding Winter Harbor. A great fishery and a great lodge. I like to show what is available and how it is done by other anglers. Right or wrong? I am not a censor of this industry and I don't call people down for using worms instead of flies. I am reporting. Not lecturing. If its in the regs and legal you will see it on Nice Fish

At the moment Nice Fish is on 10 times a week on WFN. Three times a week (weekends ) on CHEK and three times a week on Wild.

We will no doubt return to evening programming next spring on CHEK We have 700 episodes available for CHEK. Some you will like. Some you will not. Thats the nature of television. Some people still hate Seinfeld.

#22 ·
Nice reply Gary.

I am a huge fan no matter what some of these guys are saying. Keep up the good work and I'm going to keep watching your show on WFN. I enjoy fishing and I like to keep the fish I catch so I respect that you do the same and not get bullied into the catch and release only mentality. I'll catch heat for saying that, but I'm sure of the fact that you promote responsible fishing. People get to hide behind the computer and say whatever they want. Don't let it get to you.

I still hate The Hills.

#23 ·
Hey, there is nothing wrong with getting high on Mother nature. Gary, to be honest we are all just a little jealous of your situation...fishing all these great sopts for a living, and your excitement really shows through sometimes. Its a dream for most of us. You do a great job out there. FYI...if you are feeling anxiety or panic attacks just take another puff, you just have to work your way through it...

#26 ·
Sportfishing BC is still on the air. WFN and Sportsnet Pacific carry it. I agree, still one of my favs. I've also caught the first season of BC Outdoors Fishing and have to say that I am enjoying that too. Anything BC related is worth a peek.

#28 · (Edited)
The BC Outdoors Magazine folks have a good start going on a new local BC fishing series. I have caught a few episodes on WFN, and love the west coast aspect. The more filmed, shot and broadcast locally, the better in my view. I can only take so much of the eastern stuff. The big muskey shows are good though.

#29 ·
The BC Outdoors Magazine folks have a good start going on a new local BC fishing series. I have caught a few episodes on WFN, and love the west coast aspect. The more filmed, shot and broadcast locally, the better in my view. I can only take so much of the easter stuff. The big muskey shows are good though.
You stole my thunder Hoochee but I will add that you can catch this show on CHEK channel 6 on Sundays at 12:30. Also a couple of weeks ago Fish'n' Canada did a 2 part show of sturgeon fishing on the Fraser with Vic Carrao at STS. They also did a show up on the Upper Pitt for dollies. All really good episodes.

BTW, hey Gary if you're reading can you do more freshwater stuff? I do enjoy the shows out in the salt but they seem a bit cookie cutter to me.

#38 ·
Ha ha ha ha.........I felt so 'dirty' when I got home. :p

Whoa, touched a nerve there, did I - are they friends of yours?

It was a bit of a joke - more in reference to the earlier shows where they usually didn't start fishing until later in the morning and the bite has died off by then. So it seemed that they weren't catching a lot of fish.
easywater......it takes WAY, WAY more to 'touch a nerve' for me. :p They are not friends of mine.....nor do I know them any more than what I have read on the website for their show. Just from experience out there.......the bite doesn't always happen at first light and not every day is 'epic' and unless in their narration they said it was a late start....who knows?? ::) I had a great time sleeping in some mornings in Nootka and Kyuquot last year as the bite wasn't turning on until mid morning. Who knows how long they fish during the day when they only have a half hour on TV....I am sure when you see Gary, Mark or even my favourite Cronzy catch their couple of fish per episode you are seeing FAR from their entire day. Again....I say that just to point something out.....not cause I am unnerved. ;)

Watched the episode again just now - Barkley Sound episode while showing a floating home in the harbour - and I quote:

"... a celebratory cocktail and some fine BC cheer
I'll have to watch for that episode and I would be quite surprised given the ridiculous broadcasting standards in this country if the "cheer" in question was in fact "BC's most famous crop".

Do you have the episode recorded?

Anyhow.....I'll keep watching the show....as I think it is shot pretty well without the same usual "cookie cutter" recipe for a fishing show.

As for the start of the thread.......I am choked that they allow Cronzy on the air out here in BC. :p

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.