BC Fishing Reports banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought some natural mallard flank to make rolled muddlers but I also want to tie some in different colours such as blue and black to use for coho. I dont want to buy more feathers and was wondering if their was an easy way to die some of them.

I was thinking food die because it is easily obtainable but not sure if that would work.

Any suggestions.

·
Registered
3,812 Posts
RIT or other fabric dye is the way to go. Food colouring is water soluble and will rinse out in the flow. Check out the price of the dye, tho', unless you have a large amount of material to dye, you may find that it is cheaper to buy already dyed materials.

·
Registered
513 Posts
Hey vanislealoha

It has been my experience in the past that unless you are dying a large amount of material the hassle involved far out ways the price of buying the feathers already packaged, especially some thing as cheap as mallard flank. The only time that I will dye my own is for deer hair and that is only because I usually have quite a bit after hunting season so it makes it worth the effort.

Centerpin

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.