BC Fishing Reports banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Might need to re-power my boat soon. Any body have any knowledge, good or bad, about the Evinrude E-Tec's? See a lot of them around, but I don't know anybody that owns one personally. Looking at the 90 HP.

·
Administrator
3,732 Posts
the larger ones are a thing of beauty. the smaller 2 cylinder I don't care much for but that's just me. state side evenrude out numbers the lot but north of the boarder its Yamaha and merc. I believe the main reason is marketing and service where Honda Suzuki and e-techs lag in support. most say the reason being is that that they don't it because they are that good....little assurance when things happen and...sorry don't cut it..! This is why I picked merc but some of the offerings are very tempting. any one of them.

·
Registered
101 Posts
I love my 90 etec! It sips fuel AND has really good performance. Mine is 5 years old now and has not skipped a beat.
I just had it in for its first servicing and the guys said that it still looked like new.

Considering the advertising and sponsorship that companies like Mercury do, is their motor really worth the money being charged OR are you, the consumer, really paying for all that? With Evinrude, I believe that you are just paying for R&D and the physical value of the unit.

The ONE disadvantage is that from where I live in central BC, I have to trailer my boat at least 2 hours north or south to find a service technician should I need one.

When I bought it, I was under the naïve impression that any Evinrude or Bombardier dealership could provide diagnosis and service: NOT!
It seems any marine mechanic can hang out a Merc or Yammie sign.

Hope this helps!

G

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
I see lots of them break down. We all know how the last rounds of E tecs worked. They are no better than any other motor.

I put 1000 hrs a year on my twin Mercs and have had great success with them for 30 years along with excellent dealer service.

·
Administrator
3,732 Posts
those the optimax s Tofinoguy...? No matter how far down the fourstroke trail we go two stroke will be missed.

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
those the optimax s Tofinoguy...? No matter how far down the fourstroke trail we go two stroke will be missed.
Yes, they are the Optimax motors Marko. Unfortunately they have discontinued the 150 hp size so next round will be the new 4 strokes. I sure liked the fast lift off and ability to plane at low rpms in a big sea.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts