BC Fishing Reports banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Fished it last Monday for a few hours with no luck (fly fishing). Tried the range of bunny bugs in green, pink, purple, black and combinations of those colours, some yarn eggs in various colours, even some flashy coho flies but nothing. Water was quite high but I saw a couple swiming through the run and coming up to the surface, just couldn't hook anything. What type of water do you guys look for? Slow deep runs? Do you typically have better luck at the head, tail, or middle of the runs?

·
Banned
2,859 Posts
normally i find my Coho on the outsides of the run or in the tailouts when fly fishing. of course this is more true once some springs hit the water. however they look for "froggy" kind of water like big almost dead moving pools along the edges of the river. which is perfect fly water for us feather chuckers :cheers:

·
Banned
2,859 Posts
well there is actually 3 sections on the Vedder. Upper, Middle and Lower

Upper is the river above the Tamihi rapids (kayaking area)

Mid-River is from below the Tamihi bridge to the crossing bridge(bridge that goes over the vedder on the main road)

Lower is from below the crossing bridge to the canal (most of us include the canal as the lower even though its like its own area)

Froggy water looks like back swells or large pools along the side of the river. not sure if it is still there but there was a big one down from Allison area, a new one created downstream from Peach rd. area. and there is probably more then that lower down also. Coho also like the deep holes behind big rocks and the slack water right along the edges of the river. that being said I still find most of mine through tailouts though :cheers:

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
Coho are easily intimidated by other salmon species such as springs and chum HOOK thats probably one reason why youre finding them in the tailouts. As the bigger more dominant salmon are in the main hole and scarying the hos out.

·
Banned
2,859 Posts
that and im fly fishing for them primarily :cheers: I have never found them in deep slots even before the springs and chum show up. they still seem to hang back a bit from the deepest parts of certain runs. Canal is still the best place for fly fishing as its all just like a huge tailout :happy:

·
Registered
193 Posts
so that is what dejaview is like :happy:
i like the early mornin theory,i havnt had much luck with it since i been fishing again but hopefully that will change soon.i remember my best days of fishing were maxed out by noon when tummy starts to grumble

·
Registered
587 Posts
I used to use a lot of spoons and spinners for coho....now I use nothing but flies and I still get fish...though I did get more on the gear it isn't as fun imho. :cheers:

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.