BC Fishing Reports banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

· Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Fellow Fisherpeople,
Has anybody tried jigging BuzzBombs or Sting Zilda's, etc. off of Ladner or Steveston?
I normally fish East Coast Van Isle but I would like to give it a try around here. I was thinking that 12 million fish go into that system every season, a person should be able to hook up with something.

Anyhow, thanks for any advice. :)

· Banned
228 Posts
Maybe some years there's that many fish in total go through but I don't think it's that high most seasons... but then they are going through & you hit it at that time sure you should get fish on "jigging"... Not very many yrs. ago [6-7yrs] a big run of pinks went through & people were catching them casting from the shore at the enterance to STEVESTON HARBOUR... Literally I seen 4 fish on at the same time [no joking!] They were using spoons spinners flies jigging ... even some were brave enough to use snagging method as they were just yanking on their rods........ People were walking away with their limits... this went on for two weeks...till it slowed down...dimeparley hope that gets ya in the mood to jig on the Fraser R/ Steveston area !

· Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi and thank you for your respones.

arimaBOATER, I am pumped about fishing Steveston, so I will just have to do some exploring and figuring out. I love being out there regardless. Ok, so there aren't exactly 12 million fish that go through there. 2 million still gets me excited.

And

forestfirepro, I am not a sturgeon fisherman, but thanks for that very kind offer.

I will definitely let you fellows know how i do. :)

· Banned
228 Posts
dimeparlay [hi] [ & my fellow fishermen fisherladies] This may interest you www.fishingwithrod.com It's a great BC fishing site I came across about five yrs. ago. Alot of people know about it already but incase you don't...... there ya go !!! On it's "homepage" there's an article titled : " Brief but fast fishing in the tidal Fraser" Article is on recent fishing at the park in Steveston. Great to hear your going to keep us informed how ya do... even if ya get skunked it's always great to get out of the "rat race" & on the water & smell the sea breeze... it's like a mini vacation & catching a fish or two or three or... is just a bonus to the day!!!! God bless Have a good one :peace:

· Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hi ForestFirePro, we had a great day but no fish.
We saw a few jump, so there had to be some there but, I can't believe nothing bit.
I always catch them over on the Island at the mouth of rivers. And I've caught lots of chum and spring farther up in the freshwater.
We pulled out the who arsenal, buzzbombs and zildas. There were a couple of other boats there too but nobody was into anything. Oh, we did get a starry flouder though.
I cannot believe that we couldn't get any salmon to bite. I did not see any coho. I think whatever jumped must've been a spring or a chum.

Wish I could've gone today. Oh well, I'm going to try again. Remind me and I'll let you know what happened. :)

· Registered
63 Posts
For Chum, I've caught them in the salt, when I couldn't see them around on top. Pretty much on everything I use for springs.

All the times I've seen Chum finning all over the place, they seem tight lipped.

Its frustrating to seem them all around the boat, and not be able to hook up.

· Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
J-Global:
All the times I've seen Chum finning all over the place, they seem tight lipped.

Its frustrating to seem them all around the boat, and not be able to hook up.

No kidding it's frustrating. When they start finning they really don't bite....but it looks so good! O0

· Registered
39 Posts
going to give it a shot myself tomorrow pending weather. I will try bar rigging around Ladner/Delta if it is too nasty to get out to the sandheads.
Took a couple days off of which I can fish one...tomorrow being the best weather forecast.
I will report my (fingers crossed) success' Friday.

· Registered
461 Posts
Quote from J-GLOBAL: "Worm & Bobber?"

Believe it or not, in Washington state they actualy fish for chums with a bobber with herring (or anchovy). This is down in the Hood Canal where they have a very large run of Chums.

Here is a quote from a Washington state website:

"A recently developed fishing technique has the potential to revolutionize salt water fishing for chum salmon. A south Puget Sound angler, Greg Cloud, pioneered the use of a small herring or anchovy drifted through chum holding areas under a float or bobber. The terminal gear is a mooching leader with double 1/0 to 4/0 hooks and a bait of 3" to a maximum of a 4" herring or anchovy (or herring strip) fished on a weighted leader . Run an small egg slider sinker on the mainline with a swivel to stop it and 20" of 12# to 15# leader to the bait. This rig is drifted at a depth that you see fish on your finder, usually from 6' to maybe 40' deep depending on the water depth. You do not need it far from the boat, maybe 35' to 50' is enough."

The full webpage is located at:http://www.pugetsoundanglers.org/fishing/hood_canal_chums.htm

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.