BC Fishing Reports banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
I recently came across this video, and got interested in fly fishing the mouth of the Adams with an egg pattern for rainbows.
I am wondering though, when using egg patterns, if you should use an indicator on a 9ft leader and floating line or use it without an indicator.
It would also be interesting to know if this method would work on creeks were kokanee spawn (i.e. mouth of Mission creek in Kelowna).
Hopefully someone can help me out as I have never done this kind of fishing before.
thanks, Joe

·
Registered
29 Posts
Hi Joe,

I spend most of my time at the Adams and have great results with trout beads. I use a floating line with a short sinking tip. On that i use a 10lbs tapered leader ending with a small swivel. The swivel does 2 things - The swivel acts as a small weight so your egg will bottom bounce (where you catch rainbows). And secondly, when you foul hook a sockeye or spring, you can break off your line from the swivel down with a good hard pull. Below the swivel you want to have about 2' of mono-filament with a bead just above your bare fly hook. I started out using an indicator, but don't bother any longer with that. The rainbows hit so hard, you will know it!

There are so many salmon in the river now, bring lots of monofilament, beads and hooks. You will lose quite a few.

Don't have to be just at the mouth either. There are spots along the river where you can catch rainbows as well. Good luck and have fun! Let me know if you get a chance to try it.

Pencil

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks allot for that. Unfortunately I'm not able to make it out this fall, but hopefully with be able to go in the spring when the fry salmon come down the river.
Is it basically the same technique when you fish in the spring?
thanks again

·
Retired Administrator
4,447 Posts
I'm there this weekend but hope to be in a boat as the sockeye are so thick at the drop off of the river mouth that it will be hard to get at the bows below the salmon. Will be using egg sucking leeches on a sink tip a little farther out into the lake, just where the current from the river slows.

·
Retired Administrator
4,447 Posts
Is it basically the same technique when you fish in the spring?
thanks again
Not quite, you need to strip those streamers especially in areas with little to no current. If you're fishing the mouth, just roll cast upstream and let them swing to give them action.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Retired Administrator
4,447 Posts
Took a stroll down to the mouth yesterday and there are hundreds of thousands of sockeye plugging the drop off waiting to head up. Two folks fishing could not get below the fish and every cast snagged a sockeye. They didn't fish long and I didn't even bother putting my rod together. The socks need to thin out alot before fishing egg patterns or egg sucking leeches is doable. Most people are in boats farther out in the lake or heading upstream to fish.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
29 Posts
Have been playing around in the mouth as well. Usually come in on my boat the past couple weekends so i can anchor just at the drop off. Then casting into the current and letting it drift down deeper. I am using my 8wt set-up just because I have some very heavy sink tip lines to try and get down deep enough. It is a bit heavy of a set-up for rainbows, but still works.

Big Green Machine is correct that it is hard to get down below the Sockeye.

Divers were out playing around in the area and they were telling us they could see tons of rainbows below the salmon, but again the challenge is to get down deep enough. Only caught 3 on Friday.

Other trick is to situate yourself so that when you retrieve, your line has drifted out of the main group of fish. If you try to pull through them you will be donating your leader...

·
Retired Administrator
4,447 Posts
We just got back from our trip, and we had great success with very little interference using indicators, and micro shot to get our beads below the sockeye.

Finder:cheers:
Hi Kevin,

Were you fishing at the mouth of the Adams or at Scotch Creek?

·
Registered
3,386 Posts
Kevin and I were fishing the same area...He on the shore and me in the 'toon,,,,We both had success with various methods and had a fun weekend, but he did beach a few brutes which made the trout that I caught look small....BTW Thanks, Kevin for tieing up the flies for me........I also liked the VQA
Until next year...................Ortho

·
Registered
30 Posts
amazing run this year ive never seen quite so many sockeye there i found the smaller seams at the mouth doing better cause there was less sockeye i figured this was the best place to break in my new CP.:) went out a couple mornings with good success on trout beads. so glad its 20 min from home ! :)

·
Registered
2,679 Posts
Hi Kevin,

Were you fishing at the mouth of the Adams or at Scotch Creek?
Hi BGM,

We spent most of our time @ the mouth of the Adams, and didn't hit up Scotch Creek even though it was in our plans. I can't wait to get back up. Maybe a quick return trip in November is in order, I would really love to hit up some of those spots higher up.

Finder:cheers:

·
Retired Administrator
4,447 Posts
After hearing your report I regret not breaking out the rod and pontoon boat. Instead I hung out with kids poking the dead sockeye with a stick. Oh well, thanks for sharing, if you're heading back up pm me and maybe I'll try to make it up.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts