BC Fishing Reports banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can you tell me the best place to start, I heard its a decent river to fly for them, but i dont want to take the journey out there and find out it isnt, its about a 2 hours drive each way, any info would be great thanks

·
Registered
4 Posts
youd have a better luck in the chekamus river right. the squamish does have some large dollies and the sort but I just love hiking the chek for some reason. now I was out hiking it two weeks ago and its was crystal. lots of dollies,cutties and brookies. some monster dollies. I was throwing bait but tossing flies will work nicely too. hooked a few with tossing spinners and crocks. . pm is you want to know a bit more about the system up there.

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
There are no brooks in the Squamish or the Cheakamus! And there is a bait ban!You know you can get dollies and rainbows in both systems right now! Flesh patterns and egg patterns and of course sculpins are a go to fly! Olive and black woolie buggers have had some success too.Hope this helps some!

Hotrod

·
Registered
4 Posts
your right hotrod about the bait ban. I should look at the regs a bit more closely! :-[ thanks for clearing that up for me. Im sure there are brookies in the cheakumus. i could be wrong. Im sure that I hooked one a week ago. what do they look like ? maybe it was a char??? Im pretty new to this maybe you could clear it up for me. Id post a pic of it but i cant figure out how to.

·
Registered
98 Posts
hey fishslayer your post is a little incriminating :) hope the wrong person doesnt read it you best get some regulations

·
Retired Administrator
4,448 Posts
what do they look like ?
Brook trout, dollies, bulls, and lake trout all belong to the char family. Brookies are not very big out west here, and there are no brookies in streams on the west coast that I know of. There are a few in interior lakes but they are stocked not running freely in rivers. The fish you caught on "bait" OOOPS was a small dollie or a larger bull trout. Oh well we all make mistakes. There will be people who consider your faux pas more than a mistake so I would edit your post if I was you.

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
Char and rainbows are all that you'll find up in this system. It wouldn't be the first time someone mader a mistake about the regs! Bot they sure love that goo though! ;)

Horod

·
Retired staff
6,684 Posts
Thank you Hotrod, like HR said guys we all make mistakes from time to time, and I am sure in this case it was an honest one...I don't think it will be necessary to edit your post Fishslayer, this is a valuable lesson learned, for you, and for everyone on this site...check your regs everyone, and refresh your memory from time to time...I'm pretty sure there aren't any brookies in those systems Fishslayer, it was, as others have already stated, likely a bull or dollie...

If you'd like to send the pic to me, I'd be happy to post it for you...then we can do little ID on what you had for general information's sake....
Just contact me by pm.

rib

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
Mile 37 is a two hour drive from Vancouver and at least one hour on gravel.I love the Coho spawning signs around 33 mile.Man they would have to be big strong fish to get through that canyon.

Hotrod

·
Registered
8 Posts
Fishslayer, the Dollies are pretty easy to distinguish.....they are quite blue with pinkish spots. Very aggressive fish, I have had tons of success on the fly with a flashy minnow pattern.

·
Registered
736 Posts
I can't wait to try that out in the next couple months, I finally got some fly gear. So, now I just have to figure out how to get to those spots and see if I can wrangle some nice Dollies/Bulls!! ;D

1 - 13 of 13 Posts