BC Fishing Reports banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Banned
2,859 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
anyone know a good area on the Stave to try for cutties?? heard it can be pretty good in there. Do the whitefish still spawn in there in April?? heard when this is going on there are some very large ones in there :thumbup:

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
Re: Cutts

HOOK said:
anyone know a good area on the Stave to try for cutties?? heard it can be pretty good in there. Do the whitefish still spawn in there in April?? heard when this is going on there are some very large ones in there :thumbup:
Yes, yes and yes. There is also another species that goes in there to feed on the fry :thumbup:

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
Seeing as the stave is such a vastly large river, as soon as I feel like going into my camping stuff Ill get you a set of GPS coordinates where you'll catch fish everycast, none stop, all day until your arms fall off. ::)

;D ;D ;D

·
Banned
2,859 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
you guys are pretty hilarious thinking i dont know this river at all, I do fish it for coho. i know this river however have never been OUT ON THE WATER in this river looking for fish and thats what i was asking. I have had some PM's from a couple guys and i thank you immensily for the info, If we can make it out soon we should have a good time out there. anyone else with a pontoon wanna join for the day??

why is it that cutties always rise when feeding? arent they eating salmon fry which would be a little deeper than the surface? I always hear the "look for them rising" but honestly have never seen them rising anywhere before but have seen people catch a few periodically (other systems) what if you see no fish rising, does that mean there are none around? as you can tell i have never targetting cutties before :peace:

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
Ive never targeted cutties either but "look for them rising" would be a way to find fish that are activly feeding Im assuming. It would be faster to find fish that are disturbing the waters surface rather than casting randomly trying to find them.

·
Registered
901 Posts
prey fish tend to hit the surface when being hunted
maybe that is what they are seing the cutties taking the fish at the top of the water

·
Registered
3,812 Posts
Cutts will actually swim up through a bait ball of fry, breach the water and body slam back into the ball. This stuns some of the fry and the cutts have a liesurely feed on the stunned and injured fry.

·
Registered
334 Posts
I got a chance to go out this morning. I didn't catch any cutties, but the whitefish were nailing an epoxy minnow with amazing regularity. I've never caught one of those things before, and I was surprised to find that they're incredibly scrappy. I'd say they have more fight in them than a similar sized trout.

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
Roughingminor said:
I got a chance to go out this morning. I didn't catch any cutties, but the whitefish were nailing an epoxy minnow with amazing regularity. I've never caught one of those things before, and I was surprised to find that they're incredibly scrappy. I'd say they have more fight in them than a similar sized trout.
They definately do have scrap to them. I hooked one a couple years back on the Alouette while fishing for chum and was surprised to see that it was a whitefish.

·
Banned
2,859 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
sounds like you had a fun day. what was your biggest whitefish?? i have heard when they are in there spawning in April you can hit some of the big ones that come out of the Fraser that are 5lb+ Only time i have ever caught whitefish was fishing for steel on the vedder and even on the level wind rod you can still feel those little scrappers :thumbup: bet they are a riot on a 5wt :thumbup:

·
Registered
188 Posts
Roughingminor said:
I guess that might be you I saw this morning and you asked for a minnow from me ? I was with another guy. Well we hit some whitefish and after I went to M&Y and picked up some more flys so next time I'll have an extra :thumbup:

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.