BC Fishing Reports banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

· Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I do not wish to start a S#!tstorm. I'm just curious what the Natives are allowed to do. I asked a DFO rep a couple of years ago when I saw snagging & retention in the upper Squamish R.. She said a all rules are supposed to apply except a Status Card supercedes having to buy a license. However, the Capilano R. snagging that goes on is obviously OK. Is that because it is on reseve land? Honestly, I really want to know & I figure asking y'all is faster that asking the DFO.

· Registered
409 Posts
They can only snag on Res Land, to when they come on to White Mans land they have to fallow White Man rules.

I have chassed some out of the Hwy Pools to when they where snagging big springs in there, plus a couple of years ago one Native got cuffed as he had 4 garbage bags full of springs.

Others might know more, one reason I don't want to get my status card even tho I could.....

· Registered
409 Posts
Well after being told by my people to return back to White Mans land that is why I posted it that way.

Fish Below the Marine Drive bridge you will see what I am meaning.

I can see this goin to the sin bin soon :confused:

· Banned
2,854 Posts
from what i understand they have to be on "their" reservation not another bands in order to fish whatever way they like

is this true ? if they are on another bands reserve who's rules do they follow then ??

HOOK

· Registered
409 Posts
A native from one band can't go and fish or hunt on another natives band land with out getting primisson from the band.

That is what I have been told by the boys on the Cap, as if I got my status I would have to still fish above the Marine Drive bridge. Using drift gear, the only thing I wouldnt need is a lisc.

· Registered
1,519 Posts
As long as you have a status card you do not need to buy a liscense. Natives can fish on each other's land quite freely but sometimes permission is required but not so often.If Cap Slayer wants to fish below the Marine Driver bridge all he has to do is ask and they'll pretty much let him.I fish down there all the time and have seen alot of other natives fishing there with no prob.The law that applies is aboriginal law which has been handed down for generations since time immemorial as we know it.

· Registered
1,519 Posts
I have my food fishery but I do not sell,do not use trebles or nets! More fun that way!

A few bad apples can spoil it all !

Hotrod

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.