BC Fishing Reports banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In Europe, where I'm from, keepnets are extremely common among freshwater anglers. They help you maintain the fish you decide to keep fresh until the moment you leave, and allow you to pick the largest fish within your allowed daily quota (as opposed to just randomly select say, 5 trouts, as you fish.)

My questions are:

• Is anyone here using them?
  • Any Canadian retail shop (online or offline) that carries them?
  • Is it legal for me to use them and have a larger amount than my daily keep quota within them in the water? I would, of course, bring home only the allowed quantities and re-release the rest, at the end of the fishing day.

Thank you in advance.

·
Registered
3,669 Posts
No-one carries them and no-one uses them here. I don't think it is legal.

Page 9 of the regs:
IT IS UNLAWFUL TO- Have any live fish in your possessionin the wild, or move any live fish or
live aquatic invertebrates around the
province or transplant them into any
waters of B.C. Do not keep angled fish
alive in a “livewell” or other device, or on
stringers, and never use live fish as bait
or release your aquarium fish to the wild.
“High-grading” is illegal.

·
Registered
604 Posts
Keepnets. There's a term I haven't heard since I was 13 years old. I used to have one when I lived in England many eons ago and I have never seen one since. Yes they are popular there though. Back then every serious angler had one.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Alright, thanks guys. I'll save the money then. :) It's just another little difference I'm learning about over here.

For example, in Europe we use super lightweight floats in lakes, which you can't really find here either. We do chumming with slingshots (illegal here). We also tend to use much thinner lines for terminals (it can take hours to pull a 10lbs bass out of the water).

1 - 5 of 5 Posts