BC Fishing Reports banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking for a Fly fishing rod for steelhead this fall and came across this used SAGE for sale.

SAGE GFLRP 9'6" 8weight. I have no info on how old this rod would be or how it fishes.

If anyone has used one can you comment on it?

It mentions it is made of Graphite II (whereas I think the latest rods are GraphiteIV?? so i suspect it is a few generations old)

It is being sold for around $200.00. Would this s be a good value?

Any help is appreciated.

The same seller has a #10 Hardy Marquis Reel and two extra spools for $300.00. What do you think or have heard of these reels?

·
Registered
513 Posts
Hey vanislealoha

I would probably pass on that rod it is not a model I have heard of and graphite 2 is fairly old technology. If you are looking to spend a couple of hundred bucks I would recommend a Sage 8wt in either the Launch or FLI series of rods not far from the price of the other rod but with current graphite 5 tech

Centerpin 8)

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Good advice. I was thinking the same thing depending on how old the rod actually is and how much I could buy it for it would probably be better to spend the same amount of money on something new that is built with the latest advances in materials and technology.

I might check out the reel however as it comes with 2 spare spools.

·
Registered
50 Posts
The rod is an oldie but a goodie...I believe that Graphite II is the same as IM-6 and old technology. The Hardy reels are of good quality but again old technology.

I would lean more towards some of the newer mid-range rods and reels out there. There are lots of great deals on used gear locally of even on Ebay if you know what you are looking for.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I would stay away from the rod, however, the Hardy Marquis Reel is an excellent reel - British made and well tested on the Atlantic Salmon in Scotland - for that kind of money with spare spools - sounds like a bargain to me. You could probably get a hell of a lot more for that reel on e-bay.co.uk then you paid for it.

All the best
Mike

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.