BC Fishing Reports banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Banned
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Went out today & saw only one other boat out. Possibly they were fishing from the morning as about 2:30pm they left. Trolled Sandheads area but saw no fish on finder. As it was so calm conditions we went straight out into the strait west of Sandheads about 5 miles. When I say calm there was barely a ripple on the water !!! Also quite warm as the sun poked out from the clouds 30 % of the time. We trolled back all the way to Steveston & only at one point I got excited as for about 1/2 mile fishfinder picked up about 10 fish...even one fish jumped out of the water about 5x in a row. As we used the small kicker 90% of the time "a 4hp Yammaha 4 stroke" we used only about $13 worth of fuel & we must of covered at least min. 20 to 23 miles. Those kickers just use so little fuel. By the way where there was fish was about 2.5 miles up river from the mouth of the Fraser R.

·
Registered
85 Posts
arimaboater, sounds like although no fish was landed, it was a great day to be out there! I can hardly imagine Sand Heads the way you describe it, have launched countless times in Steveston or further up the river to cross Gerogia Strait but Sand Heads has never been a pleasant part of the outing and last time we were out was outright awful.

·
Banned
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Enniberg Ya I know it can be nasty out at Sandheads...but there are days if one can hit it right the Fraser R including Sandheads can have ideal conditions !!! Not just for 4 or 5 hrs but for the entire day. Sadly one commercial fishing boat took on water at Sandheads & flipped over... A few on board did drown as it happened so quick & they were trapped inside the boat. Also it was heavily loaded with fish. Maybe this happened 7 or 8 yrs. ago. One chap I met worked on a commercial boat & I guess they hit Sandheads at one of the worst times... tide rushing out quickly plus a heavy west wind... He described huge standing waves just sitting in one place & their vessel going on top then plunging down the wave... Remember him saying when the boat was on top it felt like the boat could tip sideways... said he was so terrified that he will no longer go out on any boat !!! Anyways I will try my very best never to get caught in that sort of situation... check tides winds marine forecast... Yes though we did not catch fish we had a great day! forestfirepro hope ya do better than saltover & arimaBOATER "hey that's me" in regards to catching fish... look forward to your report... still think there's a big chance for some big numbers to past threw in Oct...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.