BC Fishing Reports banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys I am very new to the site. First I wanna congratulate you guys for an awesome fishing site. Very informative and friendly. I have fished salt water a few times with limited success. Live too far away to get there too many times a year. Just wondering if anyone was using the apex lures much on wcvi. I know my cousin used to use them very successfully around Parksville 20 years ago. They were going out of the sporting goods store faster than they were putting them out. At least that was what the store employee was saying. I do know that my cousin was catching lots of springs up to 35 lbs. There seems to be a good variety of sizes and colours including pilchards. Would it be useful to have some in the tackle box or not worth it.:2cents:

·
Registered
4,347 Posts
Love Apex. Proven salmon slayers. I seem to have taken more large salmon with a somewhat smaller Apex.
Hot Spot 4" are my favorite size. Watch your speeds.
I just took pics of 3, but Im not smart enough to add photos from the phone.
Will post from the office tomorrow.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Apexes used to be THE lure a few years back.....

Pros.....they are often deadly......good selection of colors.

Cons.......the smaller ones work best on 20lb test....the larger ones 25lb test.

If you go 30 or 40lb test you kill off the action.

Need to go at LEAST six foot leader on them behind a flasher........often they are not fished behind flashers though.....pretty light leader for behind a flasher.

Usually you connect them to main, six foot leader and then put a beadchain or roller chain to connect main to leader. Then run them out about 20ft or more and connect to d/clip.

In the days where people are using hoochies with 50lb test and a hook that would tow the Queen Mary, switching to Apexes can be a bit of a challenge requiring some finesse.

I like them personally.

They work good on a lot of species.......Chinooks will take them readily..........3 1/2 inch works good.

Nowadays everyone seems to think Apexes are just for Coho.......not true at all.

Don't go too slow or dead slow with these.

They do make a slow troll model in the 41/2 or 5 inch range I believe.

·
Registered
4,347 Posts
Interesting. I've never once seen them behind a flasher.
They dart around plenty on their own.

Good tip on leader/swivels there, Fever.

I'd only add that since the leader has 3 contact/friction points--3 holes to work through, 3 chances to
weaken the leader...replace the leader every 3 or 4 fish.

Anybody who has successfully used an Apex has likely snapped one off.
And it always seems to be a dandy.

Murphy's Law.

Ol' Murph was a fisherman, this is clear...

·
Retired Administrator
4,447 Posts
Spoons, Hootchies, Anchovies with a Teaser Head and plugs are the order of the day on WCVI. Apex are occasionally used but for some reason they are used mostly on the larger Interior lakes.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yup your are right on the lighter leader. I remember my cousin loosing quite a few fish. He was using the apex behind a hot spot flasher, but it might not have been all the leaders fault if you know what I mean. LOL. I can't remember what the leader strength was but I know he used them right out of the pack and onto the flasher. If I remember he was using the green back then. Even if he lost a few I know he hard lots on. Wonder if they still work outside of Parksville. About a mile off shore and 200 feet deep was where he fished.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Yes...they work off French Creek area.........190 down in 200ft of water as a general rule.....sometimes the fish are much shallower though.

There is an old episode of Gary Cooper (Nice Fish) where him and the Apex inventor go to Barkley Sound in May. Around Swale Rock I think.

They have another boat beside them fishing bait.

The bait boat gets nothing....but Cooper's boat (with Jack Gaunt) get some good fish.

The way they did it.:-

They ran 2 lines per side.

Port side had solo Apex on bottom rod, Apex with flasher on top rod.

Starboard side had Apex with flasher on bottom rod, solo Apex on top rod.

I never fish them out of the package.....I always put Maxima line on them...I don't like their factory line.

I use them from time to time ....not all the time.

·
Registered
252 Posts
When I fish with my old man he likes his apex on his side and I roll chovies on mine. I outfish him 4-1 and usually change up his side to a chovie after a few hours lol

·
Registered
4,347 Posts
In Sitka two summers back, we got in a half day charter.
It was Mid August--fairly late that far up for a lot of Chinook, but we took a few nice ones on Apex.
These are 4" Hot Spot. I doctored one up with a few bits of green reflector prism tape.

The light blue one boated one, and got several more good hits.

The green/yellow is a favorite, and chewed to hell.
I'm a big green/yellow guy---plugs, spoons.

HS2.jpg

HS3.jpg

HS4.jpg

·
Registered
149 Posts
Apexes are speed sensitive......if I run them I run them on both sides. I wouldn't fish them with bait on one side as they are probably going too slow then. Unless you are using a small one.

Skimywhistler:- I use 1 inch and 1 1/2 inch Apeys for trout. Patterns:- Frog, rainbow trout, black/white. I run them behind a smaller-blade gangtroll often......but I have taken blades off so there is only 3 or 4. Apex is about 42 to 48 inches behind that. I use 8 or 10lb test for Apex leader.

I put some worm on the Apex hook. But not too much ...just enough to hide some of the hook.

My main line is 12 lb test.

Mike:- good job on the catch and lures.....

·
Registered
299 Posts
Ive done good with apex lures on all the lakes that I fish up in my neck of the woods ,wood,Shuswap ,arrow , Mara, kalamalka always in the 3-4" range my goto has always been a red apex at 20feet and it has landed some beauty's for me .. Not to say I don't have a great selection and have tried many but just seems that red has always produced for me . On the smaller lakes I fish in the caribou during the summer months since I'm not huge into fly fishing I has used smaller trout killers and Kokanee killers when they just weren't biting on anything else and seemed to be the ticket , never used on the salt but now I know that they are effective I'm gunna try some this summer up in PR.. Good fishing T

·
Registered
464 Posts
A few that Hmmmm and I paint.

He did the beauties in the top pic.

These are NOT Apex, but a S/S American copy, loosely referred to as "Commercial Apex".
Salmon climb over each other to attack these...

View attachment 29738

View attachment 29746

View attachment 29810

View attachment 29818
Those are awesome looking Apex clones Mike. Beautiful paint jobs you did on them. How have you found they have produced in the chuck. Apex are one of my all time no 1 producers in freshwater. In fw I ted to use them with a dodger most of the time. I've probably caught more trout and char on apex than any other lure in lakes.

I hadn't used Apex's in the chuck in many years till last summer in Vancouver. The early part of the summer was very strange and the Salmon weren't hitting the usual gear. I resorted to the Apex in the hope of getting something out of the norm to work. The Apex was my most consistent lure until later in the summer when the Salmon started hitting the more normal types of gear. I was using it without a flasher, either on the riggers or behind a dipsy diver and it was one of the few things that was producing regularly for a while last year. I really hadn't used the Apex lure in the chuck in many years till last summer. I used it regularly many years ago in the chuck with good success, but just got away from using it for a few reasons .

The Apex is kind of finicky on the speed you troll it at. In a lake with no current it can easily be dialed in to the perfect speed, and it is easy to maintain that speed. In the ocean it is a lot harder with wind and currents to maintain the perfect trolling speed for an apex to work properly. Also the leader test is an issue in the ocean. If you use a heavy test leader it can dampen the lures action, but if you use a lighter leader with a flasher you may get break offs. All in all I think the Apex lure is under utilized by many as it is a great lure that is extremely productive at times. For the money I think it is great lure, because it never gets wrecked by repeated use like many poor quality metal spoons that are manufactured these days. Well worth keeping a few on hand IMO. Not the first lure I'd put out, but sometimes it produces when the standard stuff isn't getting action.

·
Registered
4,347 Posts
Those are awesome looking Apex clones Mike. Beautiful paint jobs you did on them. How have you found they have produced in the chuck. Apex are one of my all time no 1 producers in freshwater. In fw I ted to use them with a dodger most of the time. I've probably caught more trout and char on apex than any other lure in lakes.

I hadn't used Apex's in the chuck in many years till last summer in Vancouver. The early part of the summer was very strange and the Salmon weren't hitting the usual gear. I resorted to the Apex in the hope of getting something out of the norm to work. The Apex was my most consistent lure until later in the summer when the Salmon started hitting the more normal types of gear. I was using it without a flasher, either on the riggers or behind a dipsy diver and it was one of the few things that was producing regularly for a while last year. I really hadn't used the Apex lure in the chuck in many years till last summer. I used it regularly many years ago in the chuck with good success, but just got away from using it for a few reasons .

The Apex is kind of finicky on the speed you troll it at. In a lake with no current it can easily be dialed in to the perfect speed, and it is easy to maintain that speed. In the ocean it is a lot harder with wind and currents to maintain the perfect trolling speed for an apex to work properly. Also the leader test is an issue in the ocean. If you use a heavy test leader it can dampen the lures action, but if you use a lighter leader with a flasher you may get break offs. All in all I think the Apex lure is under utilized by many as it is a great lure that is extremely productive at times. For the money I think it is great lure, because it never gets wrecked by repeated use like many poor quality metal spoons that are manufactured these days. Well worth keeping a few on hand IMO. Not the first lure I'd put out, but sometimes it produces when the standard stuff isn't getting action.
Thanks for the post-

These are an interesting animal....instead of being a brass spoon and nickel plated, as are most, these have a steel base, then they're plated.

As such, they are heavy..much heavier than the plastic REAL Apex, but also much wider. It's easy to find a good trolling speed--around 3 mph..because of their weight and dimensions making them so much more stable than light plastic.

And you don't thread your leader through the body, like on an Alex.

Their holes have hard edges--Apex holes are beveled, angled, and smooth--and if you run a leader through these, the line will easily snap under the torque of a salmon when it gets pulled taut and the line is in contact with the edges of the holes.

When we run these, we run both downriggers, either 2 or 4 rods with them, because any other lure has a different behavior.

I love these. And the way these are stamped, the contour really refracts light...thus many have just some colored dots, instead of being completely painted over.

·
Registered
464 Posts
Hey Mike

I see you have those metal Apex rigged two different ways. Which way do you normally fish them. Do you use only a Duolock, or is the snap swivel preferable. Are you getting mostly Coho trolling those at 3 mph, or are the springs hitting them at those speeds. I know springs have days when they like a far faster troll speed. I've had phenomenal days when the springs wouldn't bite anything unless it was going 3.5 - 4.5 mph. You'd think only Coho would only hit at higher speeds, but the commercial trollers go way faster than sporties and they do pretty well motoring like that.

BTW, are there any CDN sources for those metal Apex spoons.

Thanks for the post-

These are an interesting animal....instead of being a brass spoon and nickel plated, as are most, these have a steel base, then they're plated.

As such, they are heavy..much heavier than the plastic REAL Apex, but also much wider. It's easy to find a good trolling speed--around 3 mph..because of their weight and dimensions making them so much more stable than light plastic.

And you don't thread your leader through the body, like on an Alex.

Their holes have hard edges--Apex holes are beveled, angled, and smooth--and if you run a leader through these, the line will easily snap under the torque of a salmon when it gets pulled taut and the line is in contact with the edges of the holes.

When we run these, we run both downriggers, either 2 or 4 rods with them, because any other lure has a different behavior.

I love these. And the way these are stamped, the contour really refracts light...thus many have just some colored dots, instead of being completely painted over.

·
Registered
4,347 Posts
Actually, I didn't like all that hardware up front, so I cut it off and welded on a free-swinging S/S ring.
It still behaved OK with the rigging that you see....I just didn't like the look.

PM me with your post address and phone number (our customs forms require it..I won't share it) ...
you're one of the "old school" guys here...I'll send you a couple-

This is a US manufacturer..I'll send you the name as soon as I remember it...not sure if there are Canadian distributors.

apxrng.jpg

·
Registered
464 Posts
Too cool Mike, you are a gentleman and a scholar. You must catch tons of fish because you have a huge abundance of good karma built up from all your generosity. Thank you kindly.

Hagen's is the name.

https://hagensfish.com/view-catalog.html

Look around on that link for the "download catalog" or "view catalog"

Those are on pages 75 to 77

·
Registered
4,347 Posts
Too cool Mike, you are a gentleman and a scholar. You must catch tons of fish because you have a huge abundance of good karma built up from all your generosity. Thank you kindly.
...and I'm a kick-ass fisherman-- and I'm humble!...Ha!

Thanks BG---my mantra.."Be well, make friends, catch fish..."

Cheers-

1 - 20 of 21 Posts