BC Fishing Reports banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

· Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had an unbelievable day up in Squamish today. first time hunting Steelhead up here and ended up landing a beast of a buck 15+ pounds. It was also the first fish i have touched with the new "pin". What an experience. Add that to 8lb test and it was quite the battle with a great reward. My 2 friends each had already landed a doe each. One beauty 16lb silver bullet and the other only slightly smaller. So we knew there had to be a buck in there nearby. As the day wore on, I had yet to touch anything and we were down to 2 beers in the cooler. One last lure change to a single egg and wool and first cast and my float sinks! I pull and it pulls back. Yes!!
10 minutes of arm numbing fight and the fish was brought to shore where it was measured, scale samples taken and released. What a day!! :beerchug:

· Registered
1,519 Posts
Hatchery work?
I worked for the hatchery for a couple of years and tubed a few big'uns for DNA sampling.The biggest was 42".
sounds like you had a great day. Those fish are rare and love those single egg patterns.Big river and big fish!

Hotrod

· Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
A single rubber egg, and no..not of the Jansen variety either. :naughty: The steel up there truly are Wild! One of the guys we were with carries the tube and takes measurements, and scale samples to send in for research I guess. We even saw the divers coming thru counting the steel and char. That was pretty cool. Talked to the guy on the pontoon with the "Char radar". Overall just a great day out! And not another fisherman to speak of the whole day....nice! :beerchug:

· Registered
1,519 Posts
Whistler said:
just curious, what's the tube for?

btw congrats on a sweet fish
The tube is to put the fish in to keep it calm and always in the water while samples are taken.

Hotrod

· Registered
1,519 Posts
The study of Squamish fish has been going on for many years now.Radio tagging,fry counts,fish counts and DNA studies are on going with both char and steelhead! Being a guide I thought you'd be in the loop.

Hotrod

· Registered
51 Posts
not sure what fry counts have to do with a tube, wasn't aware of any radio tagging or scale sampling currently taking place on the Squamish itself.

On a different note, please keep in mind that there is a bait ban on this system. CO's are cracking down on illegal bait use, including jensen eggs.

· Registered
1,519 Posts
FIRE-FISH said:
Had an unbelievable day up in Squamish today. first time hunting Steelhead up here and ended up landing a beast of a buck 15+ pounds. It was also the first fish i have touched with the new "pin". What an experience. Add that to 8lb test and it was quite the battle with a great reward. My 2 friends each had already landed a doe each. One beauty 16lb silver bullet and the other only slightly smaller. So we knew there had to be a buck in there nearby. As the day wore on, I had yet to touch anything and we were down to 2 beers in the cooler. One last lure change to a single egg and wool and first cast and my float sinks! I pull and it pulls back. Yes!!
10 minutes of arm numbing fight and the fish was brought to shore where it was measured, scale samples taken and released. What a day!! :beerchug:
Those Delta tackle eggs are unscented and work like a hot damm! If you can find these rare fish.I just re read this post and I've got to say that landing these fish on 8 lb test must have been quite the battle. Sounds like some good fishing by you guys. The kind of day we all dream about!

Hotrod

· Registered
707 Posts
is this on the Squamish or Cheakamus? I thought the only work tagging char and doing swim counts for steelhead was on the Cheakamus. Do you really mean by saying "up in Squamish" on the Cheakamus river?

· Registered
1,519 Posts
I believe work is on going for both rivers. A couple of years back they counted 100 steelhead in the Squish, Not a whole lot of fish there.

Hotrod

· Registered
707 Posts
Hotrod, just who is it that swims the Squamish? I just want to be clear on who you claim does the swims. I go to many meetings that have MoE region 2 Bio Greg Wilson at and talked to Josh Korman (guy that swims the Cheakamus and they counted 66 steelhead) last wednesday when they stepped out of the water on the Cheak and they/he do not swim the Squamish, only the Cheak.

· Registered
5,163 Posts
Again, again and again! :wallbash: I think I am sounding like a broken record, I'll try this again!! At the top of this page there is a button called, "My Messages" When you click on it, it takes you to the option we call "Private Message" This option allows you to send a personal message to any member of BCFR, this way, you don't have to high jack someones fishing report with mumbo jumbo that really has no relation to the topic! It's really that simple!!

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.