BC Fishing Reports banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We are heading to Alberni Inlet on July 9, just wondering how the Sockeyes are doing? Last year was so cold they just went up stream and never gave up much.

·
Registered
816 Posts
Second hand news but a buddy of mine was out fishing there... exactly where I am not sure. He reported getting skunked, however, everyone around him was raking them in.
Have fun, Jason

·
Registered
477 Posts
All i know is the Sock's in Alberni Inlet are caught fairly deep @ 80-200 ft. When I fished there, (1987-1999), pink hootchies 28 inches behind a pink hotspot flasher was the way to go...dunno about today's go to bait...We'd usually start trolling at 60-80ft in the morning...then much deeper as the day goes on. I remember fishing for sock's one day and and we stayed out till at least 3pm. Just as we were thinking of quitting for the day, one of the rods broke free and the fish started taking line! This fish turned out to be the largest chinook I have ever caught! 30 lbs! Taken @ 180 feet on sockeye gear! Still brings a tear to me eye...sigh. Cheers! -Nathan in NW

·
Registered
20 Posts
Just got back from four days at China Creek. Wednesday morning was slow but good numbers of fish moved in as days went by. We ended up with ten fish in the boat for the trip - lost MANY more. We had all our succes at exactly 35 ft with pink & purple hootchie NO MORE than 24 inches behind the flasher (to the end of the hook). Be sure you're out there as early as possible - mostly a real early bite with most fish being taken before 7 pm. After the early bite ends you won't be able to buy a hit, it's like someone's flipped a switch. Other guys have been doing very well on 2.5" orange and black coyote spoon at about 26 inches behind the flasher. We tried this for about hour with no luck so went back to hootchies. Hot tip for this post is make sure you use the purple pink combo hootch. Fickle bunch them sox! Hope this helps.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for all the tips Coventry, it is amazing how these fish change their preferences every year. We have been going now for 6 years and every year there is a slight change that will make or break you. We have had leaders down to 18" soom years and up to 28" other years. What was your trolling speed with this length of leader? We are usually holding 1.7knts. We have also been down to 80 feet with great success on different years. I will make a stop on the way and pickup soom pink/purple hoothies.

If you are going to be around the week of the ninth, the name of the boat is the Sea Morgan, stop by and say hi, my name is Kelly, my fisher wife is Lynn

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I will try and pickup some pink/purple hootchies before I go, where did you find these? I tried Berry's and they don't have them.

Thanks

·
Registered
20 Posts
Kelly,

Go to Nikka in Rmd and ask Calvin for some pink/purple 'translucents'. They're regular sized hootchies with sparse pink legs (every second or third one). The rest of the legs look to be clear plastic but actually turn translucent purple when in the water. Beauty. As for trolling speed we had our best action dead slow but then again we were fishing an average leader length of 18 - 20 inches. I understand that as the leader gets longer the faster your speed can be. You just want to make sure you get a good pronounced roll on the hootch.

Won't be there on the ninth - heading up to Skeena!!

Best of luck.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I've only been out 2x's (the 30th and the 3rd). 3 for 3 on the friday and 0 for 2 on monday. Anywhere between 35-60ft. We were using the bubble gum pinks on about a 27" leader. We saw fish caught but as always the chatter on the radio said it was better the previous days. We were fishing the "slide" just south of China Creek on the opposite side.

Good luck (I may even make it out on Sat.)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts