BC Fishing Reports banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

· Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was in the other day and the A & N in Langley had flyers about a contest they are having going on now.
I questioned the people in the fishing department but all they said was "ya, send in the flies and there are 100's of prizes."
Apparently there are no categories that they knew of just a fly contest.
On the bottom of the form that you submit it says that they get to keep the flys. It also asks for the recipe and materials used.

Has anyone else questioned them about it or have any other information on it?

Is this in another part of the forum? I did a search and found nothing.

· Registered
1,484 Posts
mcallagan said:
I questioned the people in the fishing department but all they said was "ya, send in the flies and there are 100's of prizes."
Not very informative, are they. As far as copying your fly; unless you have it copyrighted ($$$$), there's not really much you can do about it if they decide to go that route. Morally it's wrong (IMO), but there's been worse done.

· Registered
3,796 Posts
C'mon guys-Take a look at virtually any fly tying contest. They all ask for the recipe and they all let you know the fly becomes the property of the sponsoring company. A&N wanting to steal your flies and copy them? This is the Army and Navy for crying out load. Do you think they have staff busy tying the flies they sell. They buy them from brokers just like tackle shops do. Sounds to me like a perfectly legitimate contest and I think I might enter. :beerchug:

· Registered
3,796 Posts
Instead of making a bunch of "out there" assumptions I phoned the Langley store and just finished talking to the fishing department. They would like you to fill out an entry from and then send that with your fly in to them. There are no formal categories, however the way he explained it was this: If 5 people send in wooly buggers, the best one will win. If 1 person send in a parachute
Adams-that lucky tyer will win his "category". In other words categories are self-defined. The clerk also told me (I didn't ask) that they will keep the flies as it simply isn't possible to return all the flies to the people who tie them. I asked him then what, if anything, will be done with the flies. He wasn't sure, but the manager is thinking of making a display (probably so everyone can steal my sweet Mikaluk sedge) for the store. And if they were to let other tyers look at the patterns and "steal" them, so what? I haven't seen more than one or two patterns in the last 10 years that weren't partly or wholey "acquired" from other sources.

· Registered
334 Posts
professori said:
And if they were to let other tyers look at the patterns and "steal" them, so what? I haven't seen more than one or two patterns in the last 10 years that weren't partly or wholey "acquired" from other sources.
That is probably what it is, the "recipe" will be available to anyone who wants to know.
How long does it take to tie one of these flies that you guys would enter? Now how much do you think A&N is going to pay someone to tie that fly over and over again? Very slim profit margins, not worth it.

· Registered
1,484 Posts
Giuseppe said:
I was just wondering if there is any way to give a name to your personalized fly and register it somewhere... ???

G
I believe the only way to do that is to copyright it...and you don't make enough money to make it worthwhile, trust me.

· Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
professori said:
Instead of making a bunch of "out there" assumptions I phoned the Langley store and just finished talking to the fishing department. They would like you to fill out an entry from and then send that with your fly in to them. There are no formal categories, however the way he explained it was this: If 5 people send in wooly buggers, the best one will win. If 1 person send in a parachute
Adams-that lucky tyer will win his "category". In other words categories are self-defined. The clerk also told me (I didn't ask) that they will keep the flies as it simply isn't possible to return all the flies to the people who tie them. I asked him then what, if anything, will be done with the flies. He wasn't sure, but the manager is thinking of making a display (probably so everyone can steal my sweet Mikaluk sedge) for the store. And if they were to let other tyers look at the patterns and "steal" them, so what? I haven't seen more than one or two patterns in the last 10 years that weren't partly or wholey "acquired" from other sources.
Thanks professori!!! :thumbup: That's the information I was looking for. It's too bad that the people working in the department that are sponsoring the competion really didn't know anything about it at the time I was there. A & N probably suffers from that same thing many businesses do: Poor Communications with the employees.
At least a information sheet could have been posted explaining it.
As far as keeping the flies that is like any tying competion, I didn't have a problem with that, just letting people know.
Oh well all is said and done and now I know - Thanks.

· Registered
2 Posts
Hello Everyone,

Some of you may know me but I'm sure most of you will not. My name is Ryan and I work in the fishing dept. at the Army and Navy in Langley. I know I don't post on these forums but I do frequent them often, and felt this thread deserved a response.

First off, thank you so much Prof for taking the time to find out the truth behind my little contest. :beerchug:

When I put the idea for this contest together and pitched it to my bosses for approval I never thought it would have to be defended as some kind of a hoax or front to steal anything from anyone. Let me put that issue to rest and assure you my motives are as far from that assumption as possible.
This was one of the best ways I could think of to give something back to the fly tying community. I have managed to get my hands on, as I said literally hundreds of prizes to give out. However and perhaps even more importantly, I hope to inspire younger generations to take up the craft. One thing we have alot of in our store is youth, many of whom buy from us their first fly tying kit. These are the kind of entries that will in my opinion anyway make this contest a success. It is reasons like these I left the categories so open, I want to be able to allow you hardcores as well as the guy tying his first couple dozen flies compete. Also please keep in mind this is not something we as a store, or me as an individual for that matter have ever attempted, so it really was hard to nail down what kind of intrest..if any, it would attract. So on that note let me apologize, I had no idea that by not setting strict categories it would cast such doubt on what I intended to be a "fun for all" operation.

As far as why the flies are not being returned... The "Grand Prize" winners will have their flies displayed behind glass in the store in our fly vice display. Accompanied by the details of the fly and the create rs name(name optional). This is why I asked for the materials and hook used in the pattern. As far as fears that others will "steal" your patterns, nothing says you have to submit your top secret weapons. Most I have encountered are happy to show off their creations, but if your not one of them, I invite you to show me your best Doc Spratley. I will give it the same consideration as every other entry. I hope this clears up any fears or doubts any of you may still hold about this contest and once again a big thank you to Professori for his personal research.

Cheers,

Ryan

· Banned
2,854 Posts
Thank you Ryan for explaining this further. and i apologize for assuming the worst(as i was one of the skeptics) since you have explained it better i may enter something now even though im somewhat of a beginner. :hmmm: what to enter?

can we enter more than one fly though? not sure if someone has answered this yet.

· Registered
1,165 Posts
Hey Ryan is there a kids catagory as I would love to enter a couple of my son's(7 years old) flies as well as my own. Also living in Maple Ridge we do not come out to Langley that often is there a way to mail them in. And when is the closing date.

· Registered
1,199 Posts
Yeah I've seen the big sweat shop they have in the back - where they are all sitting there anxiously waiting for HOOK to bring in his best flies so they can all wipe they brow and start working :happy: :happy: :happy: Looks to me like they are just trying to bring some fun into the shop. Nothing more than that!! I go there often and they are ALL A GREAT bunch of guys and gals! I am SURE there intention was NOT to steal flies for god sakes! If any of you have ever been into their shop -and met the employees that work there, you would know what kind of people they are and you WOULDNT even question on this!

Oh and one more thing - Im sure they are not giving you back your flies because that would take alot of time to sort them all out and individually give them back - think about it!
I'm sure now they are really going to think about having another contest :hmmm: They definitely dont need the bad talk Im sure!

· Retired staff
6,673 Posts
Thank you Ryan for going out of your way to come here and clear things up for us. It is embarrassing that some of our members made assumptions and classless comments about the intent of your contest on the web. For that we at BCFR would like to apologize. The opinions expressed here in the forum do not always reflect the opinions of BCFR and we do appreciate your understanding of that fact. It was very classy of you to take the time to respond the way you did.

I think your contest is a great idea and hope it is a resounding success. :thumbup:

Cheers,

BCFR

· Retired staff
6,673 Posts
Ahhh shucks...thanks Lynn... ;D But I think the credit deserves to go Ryan for taking the time to clear this up for us in a way that didn't cater to the questionable comments by some, and to Prof for his wise decision to go to the source...nice work Prof, thanks Ryan... :cheers:

· Registered
2 Posts
Thanks guys,

I see there are some questions about the contest. I'm not sure if it's ok for me to be fielding them over the forums as it may fall under the spamming rule. If one of the mods or admins gives me the thumbs up I will be happy to answer them all online, otherwise please feel free to stop by or call the store anytime I'm working for the full rundown.

Ryan

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.