BC Fishing Reports banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Guys, I rarely post, but I do visit the site frequently. I came accross this article in the Langley Times - I am from Langley and had some of my first encounters with salmon when I was young on this creek. It simply disgusted me when I read this.. I hope they find the person who did this.

City crews were trying to clean up two spills in salmon-bearing Logan Creek on Thursday morning.

Several walkers had notified the City about a strong smell of paint thinner and an oily substance floating on the surface of the water, said City engineering operations manager Dan Mooney.

“We are setting up booms in the water right now,” said Mooney on Thursday morning. Sadly, two separate dumps occurred in the environmentally sensitive waterway located beside Kwantlen College.

“We found a container of vegetable oil, so we know the substance on the surface is that. But our concern is with a volatile chemical like a solvent that was dumped in here.”

The booms will help catch some of the toxic waste, but it was too early to tell how much damage the volatile liquid will cause. The oil won’t do any damage and easily contained, he said.

“I can’t believe people would dump in here when it is so clearly marked that this is an environmentally sensitive stream that is salmon-bearing,” he said.

“The whole surface of the water is covered with an oily substance,” said Jordan Curle, who noticed the filmy water and stench on his morning walk.

City crews were also looking in the underbrush to see if they can find containers of the volatile product in order to identify it.

“It may have been dumped straight off a truck,” he said. If there is contaminated soil, they will have to remove it.

In the meantime, operation crews don’t know who dumped fluorescent green paint throughout the City. Big globs of it can be seen at the intersection of Logan and Glover Road in the southbound lanes, but the whole City is marked up, he said.

“We haven’t determined who the spiller is,” said Mooney.

·
Retired staff
6,684 Posts
Thanks for posting this GrandA....for those of us who love this sport, and the fish we so desperately seek and admire, it's hard to believe someone would do such a thing...we understand the consequences, and have a greater appreciation for what our rivers have to offer...unfortunately, most people do not share our love of the sport or respect for our fish. I'm sure in most cases, people don't know any better, otherwise they'd be addicts like us...I am however equally sure that in many cases the perpetrators of such crimes, if they were to think for a moment or two about their actions, would realize how stupid such an act would be. Heaven forbid I ever witness something like this, I almost feel what is akin to a blind rage even now when I think of what this person has done...but this is our nature. We act before we think, and when we do think, it is usually only of ourselves. Now i know it's not going to change the world or anything, but it is times like these when something valuable to us is affected by someone else's thoughtless actions, that we might all consider how our own actions might affect what other people cherish, and learn to think before we act. It is unfortunate, but I doubt this person will be found. Hopefully the damage is limited.
rib

·
Registered
211 Posts
Chances that they find the polluter is slim to none unless they find the containers that were dumped. I work for a company that sells oil containment booms and spill response equipement.Langley city is a good client of ours and they have a very good stock of sorbent materials to clean spills up

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I will keep you guys updated if I hear anything. I plan on making a trip down to the creek to see what type of damage is done - I'll bring my camera

1 - 5 of 5 Posts