BC Fishing Reports banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I will start with Ashnola river first: Tons of fish up there that can be caught by spinners and other trout lures but all tiny, like 3-6 inches and not worth eating. Is there any bigger fish up there? And if so how and where do i catch them?

And next week im going camping with a bunch of buddies up the kettle in the christian valley area around the 30-40 km area. I know theres fish there but i can't seem to catch any. So i was also wondering where is a good hole and what should I use up there?

I can fly fish a little, but im not great. Im alot better with spincasting using somesort of lures like spinners, spoons, hotshots, etc. What sort of tackle would be good on these rivers?

Any help from you guys would be great!

·
Registered
59 Posts
I've not fished the Kettle in the Christian Valley yet but will be later this summer. The Lower Kettle where it comes back into Canada at Grand Forks is very fishable and flies are best but...there are a few lures that work well too like a size 0 Mepps Aglia or Black Fury.

Kettle fisher

aka...Bud

·
Registered
57 Posts
I have fished the kettle up the valley. i have to say small stone flies or emerging nyhpms worked for me in early august and in the deep pools i used a small gold or black luhr jensen spoon. pretty much get the smallest and in gold of black. just cast it out and let it sink and sink and retreave slow in the morning fast in the day.

ALSO GET THE LUHR JENSEN SPOON THAT HAVE THE FUR ON THE END OF THE SPOON!!!

·
Registered
42 Posts
I have camped at the Bighorn Campground on the Ashnola River.

Did not plan on fishing it, but a guy lent me some fly gear.
I fished the runs and small pools with mainly a black dry fly he leant me and caught a good number of fish.
Largest one was about 9 inches.

We did swim/snorkle further down the river where there were some "pull-over" roughing it campgrounds at the side of the road.
This area was wider and had some bigger, deeper pools.
While snorkling, I did see a good number of fish, some looking as large as 12 inches.
No rod or gear, so I did not fish it.

Watch for Rattlesnakes!!!

Hope this helps,

Dano

·
Registered
57 Posts
i bet the fly he gave you have a mayfly halfback. ive fished the halfback on the similkameen int he deep pool and it produced a fair number of fish in the 12-18" range. tight lines.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Been a while, but my guess it would be between 20 to 25 km up the road from the red bridge.

Used to be a Forestry site, but now may be a Provincial Campground???

Dano

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Haven't been up ashnola yet, hopefully next week. But went up the kettle (Around km 40 near the cliffs) and caught lots of little rainbows about 6 inches or so biggest about 10 inches. Also landed a few whitefish that were about half a pound to a pound. I used only lures this time next time i will use some flies. Dark coloured rooster tails and small black furys worked the best.

I

·
0 Posts
Ashnola River

I fished that Ashnola river when I was quite young (in the '50's;'60's and '70's) and the fish were quite small then also. I suspect that there is not very much for food in the river as the water is cool and clear.
Later in life (late '60's) Tom, Dick, Leo, Ken, Doug and myself (no, my name is not Harry) went on a trip from Penticton up the Christain Valley and back through Vernon. We didn't fish too much in the Kettle River, but we ended up at Bisson Lake not far from the Hwy 6 junction. It was a tight little spot, located on the south end of the lake, only room for two camps. There were 2 rafts on the lake at that time. One would support 2 people and the other three. The flyfishing was quite good although I never went back as I moved to the Cariboo. The others repeated the trip, but how they made out is a mystery to me. Given today's belly boats and float tubes, it would be worthy of a trip if one were going that way. Did I mention that we drank alot? Well, we'll leave it at that.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts