BC Fishing Reports banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
419 Posts
It looks to me the forum members are not familiar with the Asian carp situation?

What is unethical here - the fact they returned the fish into the river instead of killing it?

The carp is a pest- disturbed natural balance at it's great.

The only obstacle to let the carp invade the Great lakes is the electrical barrier on the Michigan river - once the carp gets in - a natural disaster of unknown scale is to happen.

Killing ALL the Asian carp is the only solution - the authorities are working on it, people are devastated...

·
Registered
13 Posts
It looks to me the forum members are not familiar with the Asian carp situation?

What is unethical here - the fact they returned the fish into the river instead of killing it?

The carp is a pest- disturbed natural balance at it's great.

The only obstacle to let the carp invade the Great lakes is the electrical barrier on the Michigan river - once the carp gets in - a natural disaster of unknown scale is to happen.

Killing ALL the Asian carp is the only solution - the authorities are working on it, people are devastated...
you must have missed the sarcasm. that's very interesting though, I never knew this. Is that kinda like the bass situation in some of our lakes that are being illegally farmed?

·
Registered
53 Posts
I had no idea about the problem. It seems more and more that our natural species are getting threatened by imports.

·
Registered
419 Posts
Asian carp -> Google it!

There were multiple tv documentaries, National Geographic has 1h in details.

The carp eats enormous quantities of food and spawns 4 times per year. Armored by heavy scales.

It gets anoyed by the boats and jumps in the air - some people reported hurt.

YouTube has movies people shooting with bows...

Plenty of scary info on the Internet.

·
Registered
12 Posts
looking at some of the comments on the website, it seems they put some kind of poison in the water to kill the carps. How do you justify putting poison in the river

·
Registered
84 Posts
looking at some of the comments on the website, it seems they put some kind of poison in the water to kill the carps. How do you justify putting poison in the river
That's been done many times in many places. Sterilize the river or pond, then restock with whatever is appropriate. Not always effective, but then again, if the fish is truly a pest, then do whatever is necessary.

Me, I'd go fishing for them. They look like fighters.

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
Just send the fraser gill net fleet over there, they will have no problem for many years after their done. As a matter of fact just send them our fisheries department to try and manage these stocks then sit back and watch the fall.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Just send the fraser gill net fleet over there, they will have no problem for many years after their done. As a matter of fact just send them our fisheries department to try and manage these stocks then sit back and watch the fall.
Ditto that....

10 years of DFO (mis)management and your problem is solved.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts